Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

XaviAce is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614 v5 Help.

I just recently bought a new NetGear WGR614 v5 router. At first glance, it connected without any complications. I had configured it to recognize only my PC, and had no problems configuring it to detect and allow my Nintendo DS and PSP. But now, every once in awhile, it will freeze. All of the lights on it turn dim, and it will do nothing. I have tried a soft reset, hard reset, everything I can think of, but this problem still occurs frequently.

I could be in the middle of loading a page and it will freeze, forcing me to constantly perform soft and hard resets until it will stay connected long enough for me to finish what I was doing. I am a competitive gamer, and having my router disconnect in the middle of a game/match does not look good on my reputation. Is there anything that I can do to permanently rectify this problem?
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
NETGEAR User

iDoof is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614 v5 Help.

Hi XaviAce,

You just got it and its a v5? Wow that's an old unit, Netgear is up to rev v9 nowadays on the WGR614. I have a number of WGR614s including a v5 and its been working fine for about a year now, its on 24/7 at friend's house. For gaming I use a 614v8, seems to handle Counter Strike just fine on my Verizon DSL connection.

As has been pointed out on some other posts, the WGR614 is just a basic general purpose router and its performance may not be up to the level of a serious gamer with a really fast internet connection. Now why its actually locking up, even with just casual web browsing, seems to indicate its a hardware problem with the router. You could try to update the firmware, even reload it again iif its already the latest one, couldn't hurt. ALso do the complete reset thing that is in Mizoguchi's tag line to really clear the memory. If that doesn't fix it I would say either the roouter or the power supply has a hardware problem.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well, the only thing that uses my wireless connection is my DS and my PSP. These systems don't usually require much for online play. But, as you said, it may be the power supply. I have about 7 different 12v power adaptor, and it is only with one that it will even work. With any other adaptor, the only thing that will happen is that all of the lights on it will turn on, but nothing else. It would be just like it froze.

I must say in advance that this was the cheapest adaptor I could find and afford at the moment ($25 discounted at a department store), so I wasn't expecting it to be the best router I would ever have. I was simply expecting it to be able to allow me to get online with my DS and PSP, which it has been doing pretty well, despite the freezing. But I will try to find the appropriate 12V adaptor.

I can only hope that this is the only problem, because I don't have the money for another adaptor at the moment. I just started my junior year, and any money that I do find, I need to save for college. But thank you for your advice. Perhaps when I get enough money, I will get one of the v7s or v9s.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

You said you have a v5 router, correct? Would you happen to know the exact Volt Input and Output needed for this router, just in case it is the adaptor that 's the problem? Sorry in advance for the double post. I was in the middle of editing my response when the router froze. Go figure....
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
NETGEAR User

All of the 614 power supplies I have seen are 12Vdc at 1 amp. The v5 I have came with a large heavy power supply that judging by the size and weight was a 60 Hz transformer, diodes and a big capacitor type of psu. All the other powers upplies that came with the v7, v8 and v9 614s I have came with the newer small lite weight switching type power supply. However, both power supplies are 12Vdc at 1A and seem to power any version router just fine.

I can look up the model numbers on the power supplies and post them later today, until then any one else out there that can post what the psu model numbers are?
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
NETGEAR User

Large heavy power supply that came with my WGR614v5 is model # DV-1280-3.

I can get the model # of the others tomorrow.