Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jimdago is on a distinguished road
Default When do you disconnect the Ethernet cable to go wireless?

Not very tech savvy - so terminology may not be completely correct.

I previously connected our RangeMax Router and was able to get connected to the Internet - unfortunately, that was about 8 months ago and we then disconnected the router.

I am trying to reconnect the router to go wireless, but can't find the Internet - and also can't figure out when I should disconnect the Ethernet cable. Doesn't there have to be such a step if you want to be able to move the computer around and away from the router?

I uninstalled the software and then reinstalled it. Would that change the 32 character Key that is assigned? I still have the document that contained the original key.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When do you disconnect the Ethernet cable to go wireless?

you need pc with ethernet cable to the router to setup router or configure it new broadband etc

see manual on how to login
http://kbserver.netgear.com/downloads_support.asp

any network key will not get lost unless router has bee "hard reset" in the past. although you still need to use ethernet cable to router and check all those setting to make sure it is right.

Quote:
also can't figure out when I should disconnect the Ethernet cable
I really don't understand your question but you can remove after you have wireless is working. there is not specific to remove. leaving cable will not do any thing... think as extension cable