Old September 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

TrueColors is on a distinguished road
Default How do I know if my wireless connection is G or N?

Hello there. I have a Rangemax WNDR3300 router. My PC has a G card in it and it is hardwired to the router.

I also have a new laptop computer. It has a b/g/n wireless card in it.

I am curious to know how I can tell if the laptop connection to this wireless device is accessing the N signal or the G signal. How can I find out?

I have heard that if you use a wireless router with multiple different devices and they are accessing it on different signals(e.g., a PC using G but a laptop using N) that it can bog down your internet speeds. So perhaps it would be better for me to set my laptop to the G signal?

Thanks!

TC
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I know if my wireless connection is G or N?

The 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands are not defined as the ‘G’ signal and the ‘N’ signal, you can operate at ‘N’ rates on either frequency band.

The laptop wireless client/driver should properly identify the frequency band and the operating rate.

The router is capable of operating with mixed rate clients without limiting the rate of the faster clients. I have devices with a 54Mbps limit associated with the router and that does not stop my laptops from connecting at 270Mbps or more likely 135Mbps.

The ‘Good Neighbour’ requirement applies where other nearby networks sharing the same router channels will cause the router to switch from dual bandwidth 40MHz to single bandwidth 20MHz which will halve the maximum throughput from 270Mbps to 135Mbps.

The WNDR3300 has a limitation that it can’t operate at ‘N’ rates on both frequency bands at the same time.

My name is Andy.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=TrueColors;211630]Hello there. I have a Rangemax WNDR3300 router. My PC has a G card in it and it is hardwired to the router.

I am curious to know how I can tell if the laptop connection to this wireless device is accessing the N signal or the G signal. How can I find out?

/QUOTE]

this is homework you need to do by looking at the spec of each pc with the type of wireless spec.

one with G will by max at 54Mbps

other one with B/G/N has possibility of supporting 2.4Ghz/5Ghz or just 2.4ghz.

this will determine how you would configure the router. if laptop support both 2.4Ghz/5Ghz while you have old laptop with 54Mbps,

set 5Ghz/300Mbps & 2.4Ghz/54Mbps

if both laptop only supports then you will need to test with 2.4Ghz/300Mbps and if both will communicate with it.
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

If a wireless card is described as b/g/n its most likely a 2.4GHz card only - a/b/g/n would be dual band.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
NETGEAR User

prodigy06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
Hello there. I have a Rangemax WNDR3300 router. My PC has a G card in it and it is hardwired to the router.

set your N SSID & your G SSID to (2) different names so that you would know which signal are you connected to on your laptop. But if you want to use just your G signal change the mode to "Up to 270 at 2.4 Ghz".
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
If a wireless card is described as b/g/n its most likely a 2.4GHz card only - a/b/g/n would be dual band.
I might just have to agree on that..
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy06 View Post
set your N SSID & your G SSID to (2) different names so that you would know which signal are you connected to on your laptop. But if you want to use just your G signal change the mode to "Up to 270 at 2.4 Ghz".
All you're doing here is confusing the issue - there is no way you can "just use your G signal" by changing the mode to Up to 270 at 2.4 GHz" - by definition the "G signal" is limited to 54 mbps.

What you are describing as the N SSID is in fact a 5GHz access point, and the G SSID is a 2.4 GHz access point - however 802.11n is not limited to 5GHz, so you could just as accurately call the G SSID an N SSID.

Let's suppose that someone follows your advice and calls the N SSID, "N-SSID" and the G SSID, "G-SSID" and then changes the G signal to 270 at 2.4 GHz - what will they end up with?

They will have an 802.11n wireless network called G-SSID

Are you thoroughly confused yet? Use of the correct terms will cut the confusion.

Last edited by fordem; September 30th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:02 AM

you go Fordem.... I think let you close the conversation