Old December 9th, 2009, 06:47 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

wirechief is on a distinguished road
Default unable to connect to www.google.com

I am able to connect to www.bing.com but not www.google.com, www.yahoo.com works at times but sometimes it too does not work.
I have tried to set the dns servers statically in network and then i rebooted.
the cmd ipconfig/all shows that i was successfull in changing the DNS servers.

I am using Hughesnet satelite service and am suspicious that is my problem and they are blocking www.google.com for my location but thats all i have is a suspicion, i have tried on other computers the action was the same, I have tried using linux and the results were the same. i have read threads that others have experienced similar blocking. however I dont know if there is anything else with my router a Netgear wireless-N router wndr3300. I used the software disk to setup the router and it updated the firmware successfully (12-06-09) I checked to see if windows was using Zero services but didnt find it, i am using windows 7 professional, i have pctools firewall, and Vipre sunbeltsoftware, i have used malwarebits package to check for malware nothing indicates this as my issue shows up on different computers and different operating systems...
any suggestions ?
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: unable to connect to www.google.com

hughes modem is also router as well, you will need to setup router as an access point

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

looks like i made a mistake in my setup, too many firewalls, firewall in modem, router and pc geeze. ok i replaced the netgear with my previously working linksys wrt54s
and the connection to www.google.com was restored, I will have to review the instructions to setup the netgear as a access point, i guess there is no way to just disable the firewall in the Netgear, its a shame to lose the faster connection (even if i cant use it)
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirechief View Post
looks like i made a mistake in my setup, too many firewalls, firewall in modem, router and pc geeze. ok i replaced the netgear with my previously working linksys wrt54s
and the connection to www.google.com was restored, I will have to review the instructions to setup the netgear as a access point, i guess there is no way to just disable the firewall in the Netgear, its a shame to lose the faster connection (even if i cant use it)
you do not want to use double NAT. even WRT54G was also double nat although it was able to resolve.

anyway, you must avoid double NAT so you must setup as an access point
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

well i guess this thought begs a question, what netgear router should i be looking at ? I dont remember seeing in the specifications a warning of double NAT only touting that it had a firewall and provided security, so are these firewalls directional and not like the pctools zonealarm and others that watch activity going outbound ?
Old December 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM

double NAT is term tech uses for using router back to back and its NOT spec of the router. double NAT issue is end user miss setup on network
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well i did some google on the termm "double nat" and thats basically what i got out of it, what i didnt realize was that the Hughes modem had a built-in router, I have been using a wrt54gs for almost two years misconfigured because i followed the setup proceedure and smart configuration wizard on the linksys routers installation cd and up until my install of windows 7 have not had any issues but that is probably because i use Linux and have been off microsoft junk for 2 years too, so i basically did the same when i bought the Netgear i followed the instructions on the install cd
step for step and when it finished it seemed to work ok, losing the internet didnt seem to start right away and then it seemed to affect only my wireless on my lenovo
but as i started to look at it closer it developed that i was not connecting to google and not losing the internet, i have a hughesnet download manager that keep complaining it did not see the hughes modem, that led me down the path of thinking i had lost the internet but it turned very very strange with google not being browsable, i might still be scratching my head if you didnt wake me to what was really going on, thanks. So, now i have to decide whether to keep poking at this and make changes to the linksys so that it is an access point rather than a router or just leave well enough alone, to be sure i will be doing more research.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM

no thinking need it.. must setup as an access point is given