Old February 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DigitalPuppy is on a distinguished road
Question RP614 slowing net speed?

I'm really not sure what's going on....is my RP614 router eating up that much bandwidth?

(w/ router)

The answer is: Yes.

(w/o router)

I've got a Netgear RP614v1 with the latest firmware....used the Tweak Test at DSL Reports & Dr.TCP to optimize high-speed settings.

Is there anything more I can do? I'm trying to put in a ticket with Netgear now. Is it that the router is just old and I need to look for a new one? It has been solid very quite sometime with no problems. A router really shouldn't eat up this much bandwidth.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Netgear1-9A-Z is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RP614 slowing net speed?

Welcome to the forum.

There will be some degradation when using the router. How much? I am not sure. Honestly, I think the router has reached it's limit with your current connection. I have seen WGR614 routers get anywhere from 3meg to 14meg, depending on how high the internet connection was. My WGR614v6 only allows anywhere between 3-4megs for my 5meg connection even if I disable the SPI firewall.

Are you doing any keyword blocking? What configurations have you set up in the router?

Is your connection cable or dsl? If dsl, make sure modem is bridged.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgear1-9A-Z View Post
Welcome to the forum.

There will be some degradation when using the router. How much? I am not sure. Honestly, I think the router has reached it's limit with your current connection. I have seen WGR614 routers get anywhere from 3meg to 14meg, depending on how high the internet connection was. My WGR614v6 only allows anywhere between 3-4megs for my 5meg connection even if I disable the SPI firewall.

Are you doing any keyword blocking? What configurations have you set up in the router?

Is your connection cable or dsl? If dsl, make sure modem is bridged.
Thanks for the welcome.

I have Time Warner Cable that is supposed to be 10/1 (and thus no bridging). I'm not complaining about the upload...just seems the download overhead is a bit high.

No keyword blocking (not ever sure how to do that). Not sure what you mean as far as "configurations". I'm doing basic port forwarding for gaming, remote access.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

latestart is on a distinguished road

I have the exact same problem with my RP614 and Charter's 10mb down 1mb up service. My upload is great but my download is only 5.3 mb down. When I remove the router it jumps right up to 10 mb/s. I am assuming this router isn't designed to handle this high speed. Anyone know if this is true or not. It seems like an act of Congress to try to get through to Netgear's tech support and since I am not home I don't have the serial number to register. Looks like I'm switching brands and avoiding the tech support debacle..
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestart View Post
I have the exact same problem with my RP614 and Charter's 10mb down 1mb up service. My upload is great but my download is only 5.3 mb down. When I remove the router it jumps right up to 10 mb/s. I am assuming this router isn't designed to handle this high speed. Anyone know if this is true or not. It seems like an act of Congress to try to get through to Netgear's tech support and since I am not home I don't have the serial number to register. Looks like I'm switching brands and avoiding the tech support debacle..
Latestart-

Yeah, the problem is this router isn't designed for those speeds...the max throughput is around 7-8Mbps. I upgraded to an FVS114 and now I'm getting the 10/1 that I'm supposed to get. I'm pretty confident that it will even support my next speed bump due at the end of the summer to 15/2....