Old April 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

602doc is on a distinguished road
Default My laptop connection is crap!

My laptop(Presario F700 windows 7) use to support 300 mbps from my wireless router(Netgear WNR854T) but now it only goes up to 54mbps and im not sure why. I download the latest firmware for my router and the connection is still crap unless im sitting next to my router. Does anyone know how I can get my connection running the way it's supposed to? Everything else connects to my router just fine but for some reason my laptop isn't connecting the way it should. It's like my laptop's built in wifi adapter is running at some kind of default setting and im not sure how to change it.

Thank you

Doc
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:36 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My laptop connection is crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602doc View Post
.... and the connection is still crap unless im sitting next to my router.....
Are you saying it is good when you are close to the router, do you get higher than 54Mbps in that case?
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My laptop(Presario F700 windows 7) use to support 300 mbps from my wireless router(Netgear WNR854T) but now it only goes up to 54mbps and im not sure why. I download the latest firmware for my router and the connection is still crap unless im sitting next to my router. Does anyone know how I can get my connection running the way it's supposed to? Everything else connects to my router just fine but for some reason my laptop isn't connecting the way it should. It's like my laptop's built in wifi adapter is running at some kind of default setting and im not sure how to change it.

Thank you

Doc
in RED. you must hard reset the router regardless of issues. it will creates issues

see router reset on my sig below.

wireless adapter connects at 54Mbps can be from using WEP if you have changes recently the encryption if not look for channel interference issues

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the quick responds guys but to answer your questions. When I sit next to my router, the connection is better but it still doesn't go past 54mbps and I reset my router after installing the latest firmware. Do you think it's a setting I need to change in my laptop? I had this problem when I first bought my router and custom support fixed it but the warranty expired.

Thanks again for the help. If you guys have anymore ideas, please let me know.

Doc
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Do you know what device the laptop is fitted with? Take a look in Network Connections or Device Manager.

What security encryption are you using in the router e.g. WEP or WPA?
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responds guys but to answer your questions. When I sit next to my router, the connection is better but it still doesn't go past 54mbps and I reset my router after installing the latest firmware. Do you think it's a setting I need to change in my laptop? I had this problem when I first bought my router and custom support fixed it but the warranty expired.

Thanks again for the help. If you guys have anymore ideas, please let me know.

Doc
Quote:
wireless adapter connects at 54Mbps can be from using WEP if you have changes recently the encryption if not look for channel interference issues
did not answer to this
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry for getting back so late but WPA2-PSK is my set up and so far I found it's the only one that works. I'm thinking my laptop is just messed up. I couldn't find any new drivers for my laptop but I don't see why I would need any because I never changed the settings on my laptop. Strange problem.

Doc