Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dmw570 is on a distinguished road
Default WNR1000 no internet connection

First time post to these forums so hope I am in the right place for the WNR1000. I am very familiar with a succession of Netgear products so am trying to assist relative remotely to set up their WNR1000. No problem connecting the PC to the device to configure wireless etc. but when it came to connecting the WAN port no luck at all. Now their ISP is Virgin cable in the UK and they have an ethernet cable coming from the existing Virgin device. If that is plugged directly into their PC the have the internet instantly. Their old Belkin equivalent seemed to work fine in that configuration so I am not sure where the problem lies. Within the smart wizard pages it asks if their internet connection requires a login ... first question ... am I right in assuming NO as their Virgin modem is doing that?
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

network_support is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR1000 no internet connection

For cable ISP, it do not require login and password. Please run the setup wizard and check what it says. Once the setup is completed properly, goto "Router Status" under "Maintenance" you will find IP Address "Internet Port". Check if you are connected to internet. Follow the link to setup the router:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/12457
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Cable modems need to be powered off then back on each time a new device is connected so that the MAC address of the new device will be recognised. Virgin Media modems do not require any significant time delay (some ISPs can take minutes to recognise a new MAC address).

My name is Andy.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dmw570 is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your advice. I am pleased to say everything is up and working now. Another convert from Belkin to Netgear.