Old July 27th, 2010, 01:21 PM

champine53 is on a distinguished road
Default WNR834b Blinking "Internet"light. No wireless connection.

Hello, I'd appreciate any help that anyone could lend.
I am having trouble with my wireless router (Netgear WNR834b). It seems to have happened without any warning.
The router's power light is on and when I connect the ethernet cable from the modem, I get a blinking amber Internet ("I") light and I am unable to connect to my wireless on any of my laptops/iPods/etc. No other lights light up.
I am able to connect to the internet if I plug into the ethernet using the same cable, so I don't think that's the issue. I have also tried to reset the router and hit the restore to factory setting multiple times without any resolution.
My security type is WPA2-Personal. My encryption type is AES. I have checked my network security key, and that is correct.
I have run the Windows 7 troubleshooter several times and have received the following messages:
Problem with adapter or access point.
Local area connection 2 adapter is disabled.
Wireless security types do not match.
A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

katrinabernardino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNR834b Blinking "Internet"light. No wireless connection.

Little confused? If the only prob is wireless internet connection, you may try to do a factory reset and upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if I could help you.
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:39 AM
NETGEAR Addict

methuselah_ is on a distinguished road

You can also try changing wireless settings like the name SSID and try other security options.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

if current setup "did" worked but suddenly not anymore on wifi device, check wireless interference

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

also unplug all the wires from the router and unplug the power supply from the outlet. let it sit for few minutes and check
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the responses.
I've tried unplugging, no luck.
I tried upgrading the firmware, but when I connect the router to the modem by ethernet, then connect the router to my laptop, I am not able to connect to the www.routerlogin.net site or to the http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1 urls to do so. When I follow the instructions on the Netgear site for being unable to login to the router found here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980 I also have a problem. When I try to do the ipconfig/release, I get the error message:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has media disconnected.
An error occured while releasing interfaqce Local Area Connection. An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.
Any further thoughts?
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

see router setup on my sig below. if the broadband and router is setup not right, you will have issues access the router interface
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

me_grimlock is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: WNR834b Blinking "Internet"light. No wireless connection.

Did you just upgrade the routers firmware wirelessly? That's a no no.

The reason why you can't log back in to the routerlogin.net is because you're not associated in anyway. Make sure that you are hardwired to the router then try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champine53 View Post
Thanks for the responses.
I've tried unplugging, no luck.
I tried upgrading the firmware, but when I connect the router to the modem by ethernet, then connect the router to my laptop, I am not able to connect to the www.routerlogin.net site or to the http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.1 urls to do so. When I follow the instructions on the Netgear site for being unable to login to the router found here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/980 I also have a problem. When I try to do the ipconfig/release, I get the error message:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has media disconnected.
An error occured while releasing interfaqce Local Area Connection. An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.
Any further thoughts?
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Thanks again.
I am continuing to have trouble.
I have tried all of the reset methods described in the router setup link.
I still cannot login to the router when I try to connect the router to the laptop (ie. modem to router via ethernet, then router to laptop via ethernet).
I am getting an amber power light, an amber blinking internet light, the wireless light if off (and has been for the duration of this problem), and I get a green number light for what ethernet port I plug into. I cannot connect to the internet at all through this connection, but I can when I connect the laptop directly to the modem.
I did not try to upgrade the firmware wirelessly. This problem arose spontaneously as far as I can gather.
I also know I can connect using other wireless routers without problem (ie. my office's wirelss works flawlessly with my machine).
Any tips?
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
NETGEAR Expert

mastershake is on a distinguished road

to be honest (some think im crazy) the wnr834b is a AWESOME CHEAP single band router you can find them refurbished for under 30$ with free shipping and once you add ddwrt firmware the router just runs and runs and has excellent range for a sub 30$ router. i keep then refurbished for customers looking for just a cheap router i have prob 50-75+ out there i have set up and i almost NEVER get a call on them. i have recovered these a bunch of times just because i was messing with them flashing all different firmwares etc... this router is pretty easy to fix as long as its not corrupted. to me it sounds like you have a bad flash. you can possibly fix this by using a tftp on a win xp computer or you would need to install a tftp program on vista or win 7 to do this. imo win xp is the best for this type of thing because its so easy i keep a old compaq laptop around with win xp just for these types of things.

download which ever firmware you want to use personally for the wnr834b the ddwrt firmware ROCKS. it blows the netgear firmware away all the way around. but you can use stock for this process also and you can get it from the netgear product page.

first plug the router in. then plug the computer you will be using into on of the lan ports. if using win xp you will need to go to the network settings and select the adapter for the lan (or local area connection). select properties and look for internet protocol tcp/ip.

now under the obtain automatically check the "use the following ip addres" and enter a ip OTHER THEN 192.168.1.1 personally i use 192.168.10.1 most of the time. enter 255.255.255.0 if its not there already then in the bottom select the "use the following dns" and enter 192.168.1.1 click ok then ok again.

now what you do is open a dos box and type this command:

ping -t -w 2 192.168.1.1

this will give you a continuous ping. watch the results for a few seconds it should show ttl=64. if not you could have a more serious issue and may need other tools to get it working again. now if it shows ttl=100 this is telling you it wants firmware NOW...

now open ANOTHER dos box SWITCH TO THE DIRECTORY WHERE YOU HAVE THE FIRMWARE i use the root c: since its just easier for me. and now type this: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT code.bin code.bin (replace the code.bin with the name of the actual firmware you are using whichever that is. you can shorten the name of the netgear firmware if its easier to something like wnr834b.bin by renaming the file and then that is what you would type in there instead of code.bin HOWEVER YOU MUST HAVE THE WORD PUT THERE if not it will not work do not leave that out) DO NOT HIT ENTER YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW GET READY while it is still running the ping (remember you should have 2 dos boxes open one running the continuous ping command) what you do is with one hand unplug the router and IMMEDIATLY plug it back in and the second you push the plug in hit the enter key to run the command in the box for the put code.bin...if you did it right and the router accepts it you should see it say successful transfer NOW WAIT.... do not touch the router or unplug it it can take anywhere between 2-10+ minutes i have seen some take 10 or more minutes. if you saw it say successful in a short time you should see the power light turn green.

now if it said successful transfer and you do not touch it and still get no response imo i would try it one more time. if no good on the second try you may need either a serial or jtag depending on if you have version 1 or version 2 of the 834b

the process is the same if you have vista or win 7 but you must do this with a tftp program instead. imo win xp works awesome for this.

let me know if you have a question on this.