Old August 20th, 2010, 03:10 AM

derek_t is on a distinguished road
Default AP client mode setup and WNDR3700

Hello,

I recently bought a WNDR3700 and I am having an issue with setting up my old AirLink 101 AP421W Access-Point wireless unit. I've tried to use the main/primary SSID with WEP, no luck, doesn't work. Likewise, using the guest network SSID and WEP, doesn't work either. When I say "doesn't work", I really mean, the AP421W cannot establish an internet connection via the WNDR3700 wireless router for my Sony Blu-Ray player (an older one where it did not came with built-in Wi-Fi).

So, my question is, I'm wondering if there are some compatibility issues with Airlink AP421W product configured as an AP Client or there is probably something missing that I have not done.

The AP421W settings are:
LAN IP is 192.168.1.250
Subnet: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Wireless settings:
SSID: <same as primary SSID)
Broadcast SSID: Enabled
Security: WEP
Authentication type: Open key

WNDR3700 setup:
Enabled 2.4 GHz b/g/n operating mode
SSID: <primary SSID>
Wirelss security: WEP
Enable wireless radio: ON

Thank you for your attention.

Derek
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:43 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AP client mode setup and WNDR3700

if you are trying to repeat, make sure arlink is capable supporting REPEATING (WDS-wireless distribution system)
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
if you are trying to repeat, make sure arlink is capable supporting REPEATING (WDS-wireless distribution system)
I'm not actually trying to setup a Repeater. According to the user's guide for the AirLink Wireless Access Point, I am trying to configure the AP Client operating mode. Basically, I have 2 floors in my house. The WNDR3700 is on the 2nd floor. I want to enable my Blu-Ray player and/or DVR to have internet connectivity. These devices are on the 1st floor. So, with this AirLink Wireless Access Point, I would use a wired ethernet cable to connect from one end of the device (ex: Blu-Ray player) to the Wireless Access Point. The Wireless Access Point is acting as an AP client where it would remotely communicate with the WNDR3700 wireless router which is on the 2nd floor. This is not working, with the WNDR3700. This configuration use to work with the old (and out of service) AirLink wireless router I had.
So, I'm wondering if there is any incompatibility issues here between Netgear and AirLink? I'm not sure if I need to purchase a Netgear wireless access point instead.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:57 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...cess_point.pdf
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Thank you for this PDF link. I read through it and I understand it. But I have one question. For the wireless router/access point (or secondary wireless router now acting as access point), must it always be connected to the main (existing) router via an ethernet cable? I ask this because I need to place the secondary wireless router/access point on the first floor while the main (existing) router is on the second floor.

Thanks.