Old September 29th, 2010, 09:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dporzio is on a distinguished road
Default WG511T Win7 compatability

I recently upgraded my Dell 6000 inspiron LT to win7. It was a new install on a fresh HD. I installed the newest (2007) WGT5111T driver (wg511t_5_2_setup) and the card worked fine although at 54mbps. I noticed previously that the card was running at 108mbps when installed on WinXP and using the Windows wireless utility. So in an effort to build the better mouse trap, I uninstalled the Netgear driver/utility (using REVO uninstaller). I then did a reg clean and rebooted. After I was back up and inserted the card and it was immediately recognized as the Netgear WGT511T adapter and a driver automatically installed. But now, the device could not pick up any wireless signal at all. In fact in the Network console no wireless network were seen to even connect to. So now I uninstalled the adapter, rebooted and tried using the software again. It went through the install properly except now the install software did not ask for the country of origin and did not discover any networks. The adapter is identified in the device manager and is working properly as far as widows is concerned. The smart wizard from netgear will not open. Double clicking the dsesktop shortcut yields nothing, the program just does not start. I have done this now multiple times with no change. I identified the driver that Win7 used when the card is installed without the netgear driver first (c:\windows\system32\drivers\athr.sys vwifibus.sys. I tried hiding these files and when the card wrent in no driver was found. I then tried directing it to a file with just the netgear driver in it and nothing. I ran into the same problem with the Netgear smart wizard not opening with other re-installs on WIN XP as well that is why I was using it with the Zero Wireless utility. If anyone else has any clue how to get this working again without buying a new wireless adapter I am all ears.

Thanks
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

network_support is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WG511T Win7 compatability

Hi,

This product doesn't have windows 7 compatibility. Drivers are available till vista. Check this link for win 7 supported adapter

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11127

However, you can give it a try to update it online

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12286

If you card is detected and shows driver is working properly, then check your wireless settings in the router or else you have to de-grade to vista and update it's drivers.
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dporzio is on a distinguished road

It did work initially. I installed the netgear software, then the card and it worked fine. All of the problems came up when I uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers. Microsoft does state it is Win 7 compatible as well. You may be right though but it did work initially until I futzed with it.
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

network_support is on a distinguished road

WG511T is an old model and its chipset is not designed for Windows 7 OS. It could be possible, while upgrading to Windows 7 it has updated online and that is why it worked earlier. Give it a try once to update the driver online or else you have to purchase a new adapter that support win 7 OS platform.