Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Mauricio_Lucena is on a distinguished road
Angry WPN824N Can't keep Wireless connection working

I have a cable internet at home using a Motorola modem and I have just bought the WPN824N wireless router. Unfortunately I couldn't have the router working for more than one day until now.

At first I have configured it using the Smart Wizard Setup. I found it very easy and in a few minutes the router was working fine. I have settled a WPA security in my wireless internet. I could connect with an Ipod and with a laptop during this first day without having any problems.

The problems began on the second day (october 5th 2010) when I tried to connect my laptop. The wireless network disappeared. I tried to restart the connection following the steps of the Smart Wizard Setup (SWS), but I couldn't. I received constantly a message that the router could not be detected.

I tried to reset the router but the message appeared several times before that. I gave up trying to fix the problem on that day and tried again yesterday (october 6th 2010).

After many tries I could connect the router after reseting it several times, but the connection was lost 2 minutes after. I gave up trying to fix it on october 6th 2010 and tried again today.

Since then I am experiencing many kinds of problems with the router. The test light sometimes doesn't lit and sometimes it doesn´t turn off. The power light doesn't turn green being turned amber almost all the time. Despite having all the cables connected the router is often not detected when I am trying to setup it through the SWS.

After having these problems I could make the router working for almost 10 minutes before it lost the signal again. Now I don't have any answer from the router, same problem that I had yesterday.

Am I missing something? The cables are fine as they sometimes work. When the router stopped working all the lights were correctly on. Power light was green, connection was blinking, number 1 was green and the wifi was blue.

What steps could I follow in order to solve this matter?

Thank you all in advance.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Mauricio_Lucena is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: WPN824N Can't keep Wireless connection working

I think I tried everything. The smart wizard always makes a mistake when configuring my network. It assumes that my IP is fixed while in fact it is dinamic. I have to configure my network manually, otherwise it is not going to work for more than 10 minutes. I managed to configure it 3 weeks ago manually and it stoped working again. I tried to reconfigure it manually and the router worked for 1 hour and died again. When a tried to restart the router it freezed and could not do the tests that are usually done in the starting process. The power light turned on amber and the router could do nothing more than that, I noticed that when it happens I must disconnect the router from the power and wait a few hours before trying to reconfigure ot again. If I try to do it before this "waiting period" the only thing that I will get from the router is an amber power light turned on. Now I will wait some time to try to reconfigure it manually and pray.

2 months after buying this nightmare it still doesn't work as it should. How I miss my WRTG54G Linksys.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Sassygal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WPN824N Can't keep Wireless connection working

I have had the same issue for the past 4 days....finally had AT&T give me a new modem password and IT WORKED!!!!