Old October 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

taekwon3dan is on a distinguished road
Default Question re Power Transmit Level

My iPod sometimes disconnects and reconnects, so I reduced the transmit power from default 100% to 75%. But the amplitude went from -40 db to -20 db (as per inSSIDer on laptop 10 ft away).

Does this make sense? In other routers I have used, the amplitude becomes more negative as you decreased power level.
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:31 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question re Power Transmit Level

I would doubt a value of -20 regardless of transmit level..

Other signals can play with each others reading however...
For example.. Me changing the 3700 from 100% down to 25% results in a drop on my Linksys from about -35 to -40.. I doubt the linksys moves at all

I tested this when you posted to see if the new version fo inssider would show the same thing as your seeing and what I got was this..
100% -42
75% -46
50% -50
25% -55

Also... My ipods will work over my whole home just fine as long as it's not in my pocket... I can be in the same room as the router and drop it in my joggers and the signal is lost ;(...

How long did you let inssider run?..
The only time I see readings between 0 and -30 is when some router half a mile down the road shows up for no reason for just a blink ;P...
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

taekwon3dan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question re Power Transmit Level

Thanks for your reply. I did let it run for about 30 minutes at 75% power on both radios. The readings shown in the graph stabilized around -40 dB - back to what it was at 100%. It sort of fluctuates, though.

I'm wondering if the setting does not change unless you power reboot the router? I think I will try that.

My adapter on the laptop used is a Netgear wnda3100. Maybe there is a problem with that as opposed to the router??