Old January 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM

stormypetrels is on a distinguished road
Default WiFi signal, but can't connect devices

I recently purchased a N300 wireless router. Installation seemed to go fine, and I believe the router is transmitting a signal correctly, but I can't get my laptop or Internet TV to connect. My Sony Internet capable tv (with built in WiFi) is detecting the WiFi signal from my router, but will not connect to the network. Same with my laptop - it recognizes my WiFi signal, but will not connect to the network.

Is there something on my computer that I need to be doing perhaps with a firewall or something like that (I am not very tech savvy, so please excuse me)?

The router seems to be working fine as far as sending a signal, but nothing seems to actually connect to the network.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WiFi signal, but can't connect devices

probably the wireless setting you chosen in the settings

without details hard to pick the issues ..
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM

stormypetrels is on a distinguished road

June - thanks for responding to my query.

I just re-ran the installation CD, and the only options during the setup process that I could change were the level of security. Right now, it was set to the strongest, which was recommended.

As for details, anything in particular that I can post that would help provide more clarity? Would providing the details in my "Local Area Connection Status" help with anything?

Thanks for your help, and with my limited knowledge of networks, I realize I'm probably leaving out a lot of details.
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:55 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

every wifi devices are not created equal although all networking devices are said to compatible.

you have to pretty much work with it. If I can tell you , put key in the ignition and start up would be nice but not like that....

best is to look each wifi device spec and what encryption is at least supported and you can start from there...
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dalite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormypetrels View Post
The router seems to be working fine as far as sending a signal, but nothing seems to actually connect to the network.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know if you found a fix, or got frustrated and returned it... However, I found the same thing, and got similar help from cuistomer service as you have received here.

Here is what I found:

Clear your Browser's Cache, and be sure to hit apply at least 2 times for every change.

The router seems a little slow to update the changes, and if you rush it, it won't register.

It took about 2 hours for me to get the wirless to accept connections on the 11G signal. It was pegging a signal strength meter application, and still the router wasn't seeing the devices.

The GUI is a bit poorly designed, and some changes put the data in the wrong fields on the setup screen(s), but once you learn some the shortcomings, it begins to take the appearance of a finished product.

I am currently running a DGND3300 V2 with the .42NS firmware.

The setup here is 2 BluRay players, 2 Android phones, 3 desktops, 4 laptops, Wii, Legacy XBox runnning XBox Media Center, WD My Book Live network drive (NAS), and USB Drive attached to the router.

I do hope the DLNA suppport is returned in the next firmware.

I had to return a Cisco Valet Plus, since it could not suppport UPnP and normal network operations. Their solution for gaming support was to tun off UPnP in the router.

I fail to understand why it is easier to redefine the standard than to correct a shortcoming, error in coding or poor judgement...

I thought only Micro$oft defined darkness as the new standard, rather than replacing the light bulb when it burned out......