Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNR3500 Firmware Recovery

if you got to product support page to manually download page, it just simply ask to register to remind and also option to skip. I downloaded fine other day.

once you get the firmware downloaded on your pc/mac then you should able to upgrade/upload via interface.

if you already brick the unit then tftp is most practically way to do it and if you can not get this to work, likely that would consider brick unit

go to myopenrouter.com and search jtag. you will find some info on how to. That is the last thing you can do save the router.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM

sacloutier is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies and help.

The router checked for firmware updates and found one. I said yes to update and then the unit would not complete the update. The firmware would not load.

Netgear needs to fix this.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dvsjw is on a distinguished road

Thank you DanoNH! Well done. Now I have 2 working wnr3500's one v1 and one an L.

So just for kicks I had a dead spot in the basement "man cave" that had a cat 6 run from the new L... plugged the v1 in and now have wlan for the laptop!

The next question is I have internet but a 10.0.0.1 IP and no network resources. Can the v1 be set to connect to the L's resources w/o risk of opening to the www?

Again thanks DanoNH
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM

BLUEBUNNY is on a distinguished road

!!! I fixed my wrn3500v1 firmware issue !!!

that was the order of my emotions.

after reading numerous how to's on unbricking my wrn3500 v1 router, i finally fixed it. it was actually quite simple on looking back at it.

It is quite annoying that netger does not have a straight forward download of the firmware recovery software needed to fix the issue.

i got into my predicament by unknowingly trying to update the firmware to the router while only wirelessly connected to the router. biiiig no-no. i tried tftp software, i tried turning on tftp in the windows programs, i tried the 30-30-30-10-10, i tried about everything and then went to bed and slept on it.

woke up the next morning with an idea... the day before i had downloaded the firmware recovery for wnr3500v2, and thought not to use it for fear i would make matters go from bad to worse, being that i had wnr3500v1 router. but i thought what if i change all the .chk files in the firmware recovery package from wnr3500v2 to wnr3500 v1. and it worked!!!

what you need:
iso software to ectract files from iso. you can get this free google it!
firmware download from netgear site (link provided below)
recovery utility (link provided below)

1st - download the wnr3500v2 software here
http://adf.ly/locked/768639/content....y=macster&dl=1
it will do a countdown and then you can ckick the button in the upper right of the screen "skip ad". not sure what any of it was all about but it will then let you download the file.

if for some reason the link is no longer providing the file i will figure out a way to get it to you. let me know if you need it. its a 244 megabyte file. we can use teamviewer or something

2nd - download the right firmware from the netgear site. you can bypass the registration.
http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2615

3rd - once you have downloaded the firmware recovery .iso, use a free iso utility to extract it to a NEW folder on your desktop. (or else you will have files everywhere on your desktop). do a search in the folder and find all the .chk files, and change them out with the right .chk files that you downloaded from the netgear site. rename the v1 .chk file with the v2 .chk file. example: "WNR3500-V1.0.36_8.0.36NA.chk" is the v1 file name, and "WNR3500v2.chk" is the v2 file name that you will find in your search. change the v1 to the v2 file name and then copy and paste to each of the locations that you found the v2 file names. i think there were 7 or 8 locations. then you are done... run the "autorun" application in the extracted folder and voila!

you do not need to make any static ip changes to your network card, or go into your .cmd to do a firmware push. i must of had the worst case scenario because none of those options worked for me, and i spent about 10 hours on it.

i thought id spend the time to write this since there seems to be no easy help for the worst case scenarios. i hope this helps some folks.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:25 AM

franke1 is on a distinguished road

Thank You BLUEBUNNY - Worked for me also. Just getting ready to Jtag it when I ran across your post and tried it. Your URl was no longer working but Google found it for me.

http://adf.ly/768639/content.wuala.c...coijgotiu&dl=1
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM

dashrendar is on a distinguished road

BLUEBUNNY and franke1 are LIFESAVERS!

I was updating my WNR3500v1 to the latest firmware (i.e. WNR3500-V1.0.36_8.0.36NA) and flashing was taking forever as others reported. Of course I gave up and restarted the router hoping that it had finished and was just stuck at restart. There you go, I bricked my router. The power light kept blinking in amber. Power cycling or resetting did not work.

Then I found this guide by BLUEBUNNY. Initially I tried it twice and it did not work. Then I HAD to switch my computer to DHCP (i.e. obtain IP address automatically) then it worked like a charm. I'm connected now. Wow, I thought I was going to hit Best Buy and fork over $150.00 for some decent router. I was not ready for that.

Thanks, guys!
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM

kevdog11 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: WNR3500 Firmware Recovery

Just got done unbricking my wnr3500v1 with the above post. Thank you very much I was just about to give up hope when I found your instructions. Worked like a charm!
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Keldawwg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdog11 View Post
Just got done unbricking my wnr3500v1 with the above post. Thank you very much I was just about to give up hope when I found your instructions. Worked like a charm!
I just wrote a very long rant about Netgears pathetic support over in India, and how clueless and idiotic the whole two hour experience was... Despite being logged in, I was unable to post it and had to refresh the page and start over... I have wasted all the time with Netgear I want to, and I will now leave this post and delete the login and password from AIRoboform... I won't be back.

I just want to say, congratulations Netgear... I have bought a lot of your products over the last 20 years, but I am now done with your company. I bought an Asus RT-N56U dual band router to replace the brick that you made my WNR3500 into. I expect to be very happy with it, and I also expect that it will NEVER BE TURNED INTO A BRICK BRICK BY ASUS!
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM

daftshadow is on a distinguished road

thank you so much bluebunny! your method worked for me. my router had a firmware corruption as the power went out while it was updating. i thought i had to buy a new router and thank goodness i found this post.

fyi, make sure you download the correct firmware for your router. i have WNR3500v1. at first i did not know which version i had as these routers do not indicate what version it is on the router itself... the v1 has two firmwares available to download on netgear's site: 1.0.30 and 1.0.36. i tried the latter but the recovery utility did not work with it so i had to use 1.0.30 and this one worked perfectly on first try.

this is where i got the netgear software recovery http://tinyurl.com/7j7xkob
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM

jassimann is on a distinguished road

links not working can any one else have working link for wnr3500 cd