Old May 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

konmanos is on a distinguished road
Default Attached devices on Router List

I have a Netgear WGR614v3 and it has a LAN connection to a Wireless Access Point ( a linkSys router). It all works fine, with my wireless devices connecting through the linksys router and off to the internet - however it does not show up in the Netgear Attached devices area. I have marked the MAC address of the linksys router in the lan section with a static ip address. The Netgear has the connection to the internet via cable modem.

Is there any reason why the attached devices does not register its mac and ip address, with the netgear router?

Any assistance appreciated.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attached devices on Router List

sounds like you have two routers in the setup.. use this method

http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/...46#__highlight
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

June - much appreciated for the article. Just to give you a little about my background, I am a TCPIP networking guru, and have followed the article suggested - understanding the IP ranges and DHCP etc. However this is got me stumped.
Question 1.

The D-Link router attached to the Netgear WGR614 - only works as a Wireless access point, print server. And it performs all of its functionalities without any issues. It has a static IP address - within the same subnet on the home network. DHCP has been turned off. All of the wireless devices receive their static IP addresses from their Wireless profile - again a designated IP address outside the DHCP range - yet inside the same subnet. When I do connect wirelessly - via the D-Link _ I can see the wireless computer - showing up in the attached devies - however I do not see the D-LINK router showing up at all. Just a query - curiosity - more than functionality?.

Question 2.
I also have a VOIP box attached to the Netgear - which works fine - and I have assigned it a static IP address - in the Router (netgear - wgr614v3) and a host name - this shows up as an attached device however - it does not show the designated hostname - does the hostname come from the translation in the router or from the device. I assumed that by giving the hostname/mac address and IP address in the router - that when it saw the device connect - it would complete the translation between the mac address and the hostname specified and show it up in the attached table of the Netgear router. Bizaare - again curious - as to why it does this?

Thanks
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I must say that when I reset the Netgear router - upon applying new settings. If I quickly have a look at the attached devices the D-LINK router shows up with its static IP address - no mention of the hostname as defined in the static table of the DHCP section of the router - then it disappears. All is working perfectly however - I am just inquisitive to how and why this happens? What it means is that I am not aware of all the devices that are attached to the router at any one time?
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

konmanos - look back at your posts, all three of them, and see if you can make sense of them.

What equipment exactly do you have installed and configured to do what - it changes from a Netgear WGR614 and a Linksys router to a Netgear router and a D-Link router.

Presumably the Netgear router is the device that's doing the routing and the other device (whatever it is) is a wireless router configured as an access point - although why you would want to do this is beyond me, since the WGR614 is a wireless router - but whatever.

It also sounds like you are not assigning a static address to the second router (DLink/Linksys) but using DHCP reservation to force the Netgear to assign it the same address every time.

Anyway - assuming that I have that much right - here's the answer.

Some Netgear units do not display DHCP leases as attached devices, but the contents of the arp cache (don't ask me why) - since the DLink or the Linksys is not actually communicating with the Netgear beyond leasing it's ip address (it's just bridging the wired and the wireless networks), it shows in the attached devices listing only until it is flushed from the arp cache due to inactivity.

BTW - a static ip address HAS to be assigned at the device, if you're doing the assignment at the router (or other DHCP server) then it is a DHCP reservation - this is a small but significant difference, as you will find out if you ever have to troubleshoot a network after the DHCP server has failed. All devices with static ip address will still have their ip addresses, devices with DHCP reservations will lose their ip when the DHCP lease expires.

Neither the DHCP lease table or the arp cache is a reliable indicator of what devices are attached to your router - the first will not show devices with a static ip address (as set on the device) and the second will not show devices that are inactive (not communicating) with the router.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

KWheelerAZ is on a distinguished road

If I could just add . . . my experience has been wireless routers don't work nearly as well as AP's as real AP's do.

My primary problem with this scenario is I do a tremendous amount of my work remotely via VPN (I have several clients I maintain). Try to VPN into this network and access the wireless router (a.k.a. AP). You can't because there's no way to set a default gateway. It's a wireless router, it think it's the default gateway. You can only access it from the LAN, not off LAN. On a real AP you can set a default gateway, so true routing takes place. A small but important difference, IMHO.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, you are quite right in the note that the AP of the D-link router has not default gateway. However i do not use it as a router, but as a hub. Primarily because I have a parallel printer in one of the rooms, I wanted to have this printer accessible to the network by the cheapest possible way. I therefore found this D-Link router DI-824VUP (VPN) router that also had a parallel print server - picked it up cheap $50 Australian. I had a wireless access point - Linksys router - which it got replaced by.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Fordem,

Apologies for the posts. I have been making changes to a few networks, and replacing a few brands.

What I have is

A D-LINK824VUP router acting as a parallel print server.
It is connected to a Netgear-wgr614 - which is connected to a cable modem and acts as the default gateway for the network. The netgear also acts as the DHCP server. The Dlink has a static IP address.

Hope this helps.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordem View Post
konmanos - look back at your posts, all three of them, and see if you can make sense of them.
konmanos - what is the best indicator - for such devices that are sitting idle - yet have connected devices to them?

Last edited by jmizoguchi; May 5th, 2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: quote too long
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

"konmanos" Please try not to quote entire message which makes the post very long. thanks