Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM

alan_s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DGND3300 v2 New firmware

An update, I contacted netgear support and they confirmed I need "outside North America, Germany and other annex b countries"

I have now successfully reverted to V42 and all is well. I've also remembered to turn off "auto check for updates".
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:12 AM

fauxtronic is on a distinguished road

When will I learn to stop buying Netgear routers? I had a DGND3300 delivered just two hours ago and have already run into this critical problem that prevents me from using my network printer unless I apparently roll back the firmware.

After four years of hell with the DG834N (replaced twice because they had a tendency to just die for no reason) and having to rely on unofficial firmware because every iteration of Netgear's own firmware had a different problem, you'd think I'd have learned, but no. Here I am back at square one, having spent over an hour with my freshly delivered, brand new Netgear router, trying to figure out why it's not assigning local IP addresses properly. It's a firmware bug. Yet another firmware bug. Of course it's a firmware bug! It is *always* a firmware bug with Netgear.

I'm sorry for the ranty first post, but this company's inability to test firmware for the most obvious in-your-face problems before putting it out there consistently drives me nuts.
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM

alan_s is on a distinguished road

I must admit I was rather surprised such a bug had got through - such a basic feature of a dchp server which has presumably been working perfectly in many versions of firmware for many routers, so why someone needed to tweak the code at all is beyond me; and after making changes to not test, well.......
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM

fauxtronic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_s View Post
I must admit I was rather surprised such a bug had got through - such a basic feature of a dchp server which has presumably been working perfectly in many versions of firmware for many routers, so why someone needed to tweak the code at all is beyond me; and after making changes to not test, well.......
The Address Reservation feature has been a little buggy in firmware releases for other models. With my DG834N (v1) for example, the IPs of one or two devices would start drifting after the router had been running for a month or two without a reboot. I'm just stunned to see it not working at all on the DGND3300 really. The devs should run through a checklist of basic features during the alpha stage to ensure they're all working, but then I wonder why the beta testers didn't even pick up on this problem later. Maybe they don't have any.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

okulo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sking2004 on 4th February View Post
After speaking to a technician that have forwarded the issue onto the engineers who will have a fixed firmware out shortly. Hopefully before the end of the month.
Been and gone...

Any news on this long overdue firmware update?
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Netster7 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: DGND3300 v2 New firmware

firmware .48 has so many problems, one of which not able to connect my ASUS AIGuru Videophone both wired/wireless!!! I had to rollback to firmware ver .42 to solve this problem, it has been a month since I reported this problem to Netgear support but still no firmware update beyond firmware .48 !!!
When are they planning to release the new firmware version?
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

raziel is on a distinguished road

as a general rule do not buy the 3300, despite the dualband it is still a major downgrade compared to the 3500 as it has no wifi on/off switch (which should be a must...for some reason they ditched that feature for the 3300)
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

okulo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel View Post
as a general rule do not buy the 3300, despite the dualband it is still a major downgrade compared to the 3500 as it has no wifi on/off switch (which should be a must...for some reason they ditched that feature for the 3300)
I think that depends entirely on what you want/need.

Personally, it was the only 802.11n modem router (from any manufacturer) which did not have near universal bad reviews. And I spent about six frustrating months looking.

It has been rock solid, is immeasurably faster than my last modem router and apart from losing the IP address reservation functionality in the v48 firmware (causing some head scratching and annoyance) which has been resolved by reverting to v42, it has never let me down.

For you, a wifi on/off switch is essential - for me, well, I can't think of an occasion when that would be used or useful - and that appears to be the sole objection you have to the DGND3300.

So, why there is a general rule not to buy it and where this directive originates, I have no idea.

Maybe they are holding back a new firmware to maintain traffic to the forum because news of this nature is the only reason I currently come here.

Old March 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

raziel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by okulo View Post
For you, a wifi on/off switch is essential - for me, well, I can't think of an occasion when that would be used or useful - and that appears to be the sole objection you have to the DGND3300.
aye it is, but a critical one

saving power is already a good reason, security purposes are another, and not wanting my room to be flooded with unnecessary EM especially while I'm asleep is yet another

the wifi on/off feature seems important enough for manufacturers to advertise it when it's present

the very fact that some <insert non-PG word>-head at the company decided to have this feature removed for some unknown reason (god knows what the hell went through their noggin, other than hot air) even though it was present in the previous products, is reason enough to boycott that product. it's not like that feature is expensive to implement either. it's just...a switch

in short companies should be punished for their bad decisions, plain & simple
perhaps then they will learn, ditch those executives who made said decisions, and hire sensible & competent folks in their place
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

tului is on a distinguished road

At this point in the game I'd wait for the DGND 3700, unless budget constraints are an issue. I really can't wait to see what hardware the DGND3700, WNDR3800 and WNDR4000 are sporting.

Custom firmware, come to daddy.