Old April 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MarcoF is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless problems with N 150 router

Hi,

I have purchased a Netgear N150 Wireless Router (WNR1000) and am having a problem with the product. I have my computer connected through LAN and I have a wireless connection to two PSPs and two ipod touch.

Since I got the router and set it up, it worked fine but after a few days my wireless devices were unable to connect to the Internet while the wired connection was fine. After turning the router off and back on everything was fine again but this continually happens on average every few days but sometimes only a single day will pass until the problem reappears. And this does not solve the issue for all devices since I sometimes reboot the router to get one device connecting again and the others won't connect forcing me to reboot once again within a half hour.

On the PSP it will attempt to connect to the internet but cannot and I get an error message that tells me that there was a DNS error. When I test the connection on my PSP it has signal strength at 100% but the internet connection fails. On the ipod it will not connect to the internet and the message simply says that the ipod is not connected to the internet and nothing more.

I followed the user guide and most settings on the router are default and I am using WPA-PSK[TKIP]. The connection type was DHCP. After some searching around faqs and the like I thought that my modem needed to be in bridge mode, so I did that and the router was now connecting via PPPoE with all other settings the same. At first everything worked fine but after a day or two the wireless devices could not connect anymore and so putting the modem into bridge mode did nothing.

I really don't know how to solve the problem so any help would be appreciated as it is a bit of a pain to have to reboot the router all the time. I do keep it on all the time but I don't think that is a part of the problem.

Other info that might help:

Model: WNR1000
Hardware serial number: 1XM2965H02D5E
Date of purchase: 16/11/10
ISP: Telstra Bigpond

Hope you can give me a little guidance with this issue.

Many thanks,

Marco
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Jackô is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless problems with N 150 router

If you have never problems with wired internet access (check this when wireless problem occurs!), then you can savely deduct that your problem is confined to the wireless part of the device.

When problem occurs, is wireless LED on router blinking? Can you ping wireless the router or can you access wireless the router menu at that time?

Maybe interference is the culprit. More: Overview
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Wired connection always works. I never have a problem with it.

Just had to reboot it because my sister wanted to use her ipod so I'm gonna have to wait for the problem to start again before I can check if the wireless light blinks or not. Sorry.

I can definitely login to the router and change settings etc. while I have the problem. Not sure how to ping the router.

Don't think it would be interference since the problem still occurs even when the devices are within a metre of the router. I don't think a single device trying to connect from right next to the router would deal with much interference but I could be wrong.
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Seems you have a malfunctioning wireless radio in that device. Contact Netgear for support, RMA or other solution.
Old April 5th, 2011, 04:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ogni65 is on a distinguished road

I had some issues with an Apple TV 2 and had to put it on fix ip and removed wep.
Another issue I had recently was the ipv6 problem, where I had to deactivate the support in the network card settings
Old April 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Problem started again today so I had a play around with some things.
I've always had the channel option set to 'Auto' in the router settings but when I changed it to '1' all my devices could connect again without rebooting the router. After, I changed the channel back to 'auto' and everything still works.

Maybe it was interference on a certain channel and changing this solved the problem? I'm not really sure how the channels work. Would there be a way to ensure that it always works or will I have to change the wireless channel every time the problem occurs?
Old April 7th, 2011, 04:13 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF View Post
Maybe it was interference on a certain channel and changing this solved the problem?
Maybe ....
Quote:
I'm not really sure how the channels work. Would there be a way to ensure that it always works or will I have to change the wireless channel every time the problem occurs?
No way to set and live for ever happily after. People in your immed. vicinity will put new APs up, others will upgrade to N types with better coverage and some will just change their channel like you did.
It will therefore always be a matter of survival of the strongest.
As soon as you'll have some connection problems, do a "site survey" (= search for wireless connections) using netstumbler or vistumbler (for Vista OS). It will tell you the channel, strength and other info the other networks use. Then chose for your own AP (your wireless router ) a channel that is as far as possible (optimal is min. 3 channels) from other networks, especially the strong (closest) ones.
  • Example1: You find 4 networks, a on channel 1, b on channel 3, c on channel 6 and d on channel 12.
    You should set your network to channel 9, regardless the strength of the neighboring networks c or d.
  • Example2: You find 7 networks, a on channel 1, b on channel 3, c on channel 6 and d on channel 8, e on channel 9, f on channel 11 and g on channel 12. But network a and network b have only 5% strength.
    So you should set your network to channel 2 as networks a nor b will cause much interference for your own network.
Old April 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks a lot for the help. I will definitely try this out when it happens again. Just glad it's not a problem with the actual router.
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry for the double post but in regards to netstumbler and the like do you need a wireless card in your PC for it to work? I'm running linux mint so I tried Kismet which is similar to netstumbler but as far as I can tell you can't use the program without a wireless card. Can I use my router to detect the other networks in the area?
Old April 8th, 2011, 04:41 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

duh.... in order to scan wireless, you must use WIFI capable PC to do it..