Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM

harris24982 is on a distinguished road
Default Acer wont connect to N300 wireless

Hi

i recently bought a N300 ADSL2+ modem router, on trying to install it neither mine or my wifes laptops would do the job so we used our kids acer aspire 4520

this worked fine intill removeing it from the ethernet to connect it to wireless, all we get now is local only connection even tho it finds the network fine,

both mine and my wifes laptops are connected fine but the acer wont, we have updated the wireless drivers and still no luck,

and help on this would be great,

thank you, james
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Acer wont connect to N300 wireless

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems from what you said, that the Acer Aspire 4250 is:

- Able to access the internet if connected by ethernet cable to a LAN port of the router.

- Able to connect to your network wirelessly, however is limited to local only - ie. no internet access.

There is no problem connecting wirelessly to your network with your other PCs/devices.

"we have updated the wireless drivers and still no luck"

I don't know where you updated the drivers from, but my own Acer uses an Atheros adapter. Check your Acer for the model No. of the adapter and see if it is an Atheros. If it is then visit one of the following sites to see if you can find a later driver:

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php

http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/Atheros

Other persons have reported solving their problems with a driver update. I hope the same can help you.
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM

hi

yes thats correct,

it is an Atheros, we updated drivers on that acer with no luck, installed the same drivers on my wifes other acer just to have the latest, they worked on that one so we know its a good download (her computer was working before anyway but would drop connection from time to time)
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM
NETGEAR Addict

So you are saying that both your wife's acer and your kid's acer have the exact same model atheros card?

The reason why I gave you the links to check is that I understand that even Microsoft may not have the latest drivers on their site. That problem with Microsoft happened with others before.
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM

no sorry didn;t mean they were the same card, she found the drivers for each one
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
NETGEAR Addict

So there aren't any drivers that are more up-to-date? Even on the sites I found for you?

Sorry then. That's about as much as I can think of.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM

gdrobins is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Acer wont connect to N300 wireless

I also had a laptop that would connect to the router and could actually see other pc's in the neighborhood, but could not see the internet. I found that the wireless adapter on the laptop was not getting an ip address, despite the fact that it could connect through an alternate router. It seems that my physical network port on the laptop had a manually configured ip address in the range of address the routers dhcp server. I zero'd out the info in the manually configured field of the physical network adapter and switch it to automatically obtain and address if it was used. This allowed my wifi connection to obtain and ip address
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM

c192198 is on a distinguished road

I have a very similar problem:

NetGear Modem/Router N600 (DGND3700) - bought a couple of days ago
Connected to Telstra ADSL broadband service via coper phone line.

ACER 5742 (Windows 7, latest driver) - connected to Wireless (2.4 G) no problem (at 145 Mb and 54 Mb). The link to the router seems stable but the internet access is not.

TOSHIBA (Windows 7) - connected to Wireless (2.4G) stable access to both the local router and internet

two iPad2, one iPhone - onnnected to Wireless (5G) stable access to both the local router and internet

all above are configured to use Dynamic IP.

I couldn't work out why ACER laptop behaves this way. Appreciate any help on this issue.

thanks,
Sean
Old August 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
NETGEAR Addict

searay is on a distinguished road

Set the 2.4 ghz to 54mb and try it again. I had one that I returned for other reasons and it would not surf if the router was set above 54mb

Try pinging your ISP gateway to see if you can get past the router
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:11 AM

gdrobins is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Acer wont connect to N300 wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by c192198 View Post
I have a very similar problem:
ACER 5742 (Windows 7, latest driver) - connected to Wireless (2.4 G) no problem (at 145 Mb and 54 Mb). The link to the router seems stable but the internet access is not.
1. Open a command prompt window
2. <type> "cd desktop"
3. <press the enter key>
4. <type> "ipconfig/all>ipconfig.txt"
5. <press the enter key>

This will put a text file on your desktop containing the information about your current ip configuration. Check the info to see if your wireless adapter is configured properly.