Old December 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM

freeagent is on a distinguished road
Unhappy WGR614v6 wireless network disappeared!

I just bought a new laptop and when I turned it on for the first time it found my wireless network and connected. The internet was very slow, however, and I lost the connection a couple of times. Eventually, after 2 hours, the network disappeared entirely and now I cannot see it!

If I plug the computer into the router directly everything is fine...and my other 2 desktops on the network are fine too. It's just the wireless connection, and I did not make any changes to the network at all. Only after problems arose did I even login to the router, and I can't find any settings to modify.

The new laptop is Windows 7, while the 2 desktops are both XP. And I cannot find a firmware upgrade for my v6 for Windows 7...could that be part of the issue? I still don't understand why the network just all of a sudden disappeared, however.

Considering resetting the router to factory settings - haven't done that yet. Also is there firmware for this v6 router that's newer than 2007 available somewhere other than the Netgear site?
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WGR614v6 wireless network disappeared!

if you can not see andy wireless with other wifi devices then maybe issues are in laptop and not router unless you have other wifi devices and all works

router do not care the type o/s. so there is not need for specific firmware for win7 for the router.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks for reply. Issue is not with laptop...went down the street to McDonald's and had no problem connecting via wireless. Immediately, and with good speed.

In the minutes since I sent my original, there was a brief period when I hit refresh on my 'available networks' and my network showed up. But when I tried to connect it was unable to. Continuing my troubleshooting, I rebooted the router again, and now it does not show up in available networks again. I really think it's a problem with the router. Could the problem be that it's been in use for going on 6 years?
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Also, I don't at present have any other wifi devices to test with. But visitors to our house have often used the wifi via this router...it was used without issue as recently as 2 weeks ago.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
Also, I don't at present have any other wifi devices to test with. But visitors to our house have often used the wifi via this router...it was used without issue as recently as 2 weeks ago.
suggest to test with different wifi device to see router is no longer broadcasting.

this is best way to determine the failure point