Old April 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
NETGEAR Expert

theTechman05 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Dgdn3700v1 On AES but shows PSK?

I'm doing my rounds to see how my replacement routers doing and among 2 problems one I see is that my wireless security is listed as psk and not aes on both 2.4 and 5ghz and on at least one device my wireless lists as "wpa/wpa2 psk" though I am wpa2 AES on my two band ssid's

I know my laptop has me specify AES but I'm wondering if this is the same around all or has this been reported and not noted in the forums and fixed in one of the four beta versions stickied on the top of the forum?.

Since my rma I also noticed decreased wireless bandwidth to the device intended to be fixed by the rma (was getting duplicate and reservations weren't sticking". My luck is its fighting and the reservation is causing the slow down but I'm going to add it to my support case and see what they say on this matter.

Just let me know the goings if you've had this occur or as above questioned.

Thanks.
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:19 PM
NETGEAR Expert

w3wilkes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dgdn3700v1 On AES but shows PSK?

I had a similiar problem with the .17NA firmware where I'd set my security as WPA2-PSK(AES) and was always getting WPA-PSK(TKIP). I ended up flashing back to .12NA which corrected the problem. Then when I ran into another problem with the .12NA I tried the .17NA again and this time when I set it to WPA2-PSK(AES) that's what I really got. Go figure!
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Unhappy Re: Dgdn3700v1 On AES but shows PSK?

I think the reflashing and factory default made it worse. I just got dropped off my wireless network with security saying its not proper and my security went to heck. I unfortunately did not get an error in the logs other than that I was playing a game earlier not using wireless.

I did get lucky I had a wired connection to plug into and try to see what has happened. So far all I saw is it defaulted my password and that my wireless was as expected.

Other than that everything seemed better with the restore. Just more to report.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

adrenalize is on a distinguished road

PSK stands for Pre Shared Key and is where you know the key and give it to someone to access your router - sometimes known as WPA-Personal. The other type is WPA-Enterprise which requires a Radius server to authenticate - and used in the business environment.

TKIP and AES refer to the encryption - not the method of authentication. You may also see CCMP which is to you and I AES.

My router only shows WPA2-PSK in the wireless configuration pages - probably because the box in the table is too small! But WPA2 will be using AES.

A lot of devices don't call the different types of encryption the correct thing!
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:59 AM
NETGEAR Expert

Exclamation Re: Dgdn3700v1 On AES but shows PSK?

I XP ught onto that yes but my wireless is set for aes and it my PC for the longest time wax aes amd then I had a problem and now ots connecting with tkip, which it shouldn't be. The factory reset seem to have brought this out so now I have to see what the techs say among other things.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM
NETGEAR Expert

So at this point netgears solution for the security problem was to downgrade to "v.12"

If you have this problem, note it here since they are googling for solutions so they may find there way here.

Peace for now on this issue. as for now 17 is known to have this issue and I'm on 12 .
Old April 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Lightbulb Re: Dgdn3700v1 On AES but shows PSK?

Other than my opinion on phone support I now am on the waiting list for a beta on this matter. Don't know when I'll get it being netgear still can't decide who wants to talk to me on the phone. I won't go into further detail on that matter but I hope I'm a minority on that issue and others are getting through better.

Apparently my wireless security is a new issue and I'm a minority being the first to show it. If you're having it in the future or the past , please report to netgear. Just like the red light issue , the more testing the faster we can get to a solution.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
NETGEAR Expert

So apparently through my hour on the line they've discontinued the 90 day support and will not assist further with my software support which means no moire firmware updates from this matter. I did my bouncing and someone screamed BAM and I was disconnected.

I really did have a lot more confidence on email support than the techsupport but no dice on fixing this problem as of yet.

Sigh
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Please pardon my above agitation for a few days as NetGear has found some coal for the boiler , if I said it the way I think I did.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:00 PM
NETGEAR Expert

w3wilkes is on a distinguished road

If you've gone back to the .12 firmware to fix your AES issue. I found that once AES was working on .12 you can then upgrade to .17 without doing the hard reset and it will stay AES. It was after doing a hard reset (perhaps I shouldn't have listened to others on these boards) that I encountered the issue of setting AES (and it showed as set to AES), but connecting devices showed it as TKIP encription.