Old April 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

mberger is on a distinguished road
Default Playlist question

Is it possible to have a playlist in one directory and the files to which it refers in another directory? I have a receiver that accepts playlists on a DLNA server, but will not play audio files from a playlist unless they are in the same directory as the playlist.
Old April 11th, 2012, 04:33 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

muzicman61 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Playlist question

The beauty of the Netgear streamers is that they catalog your media as one big library, regardless of how many shares or directories the media is located on/in. So when you create a playlist it simply points to the share and directory where it originally found the file.

However, it sounds like you are wanting to use existing playlists you have already created.. is that the case? What format are the playlists in?
NETWORK & NAS - ReadyNAS NV+ (8TB), NV+ (6TB), Duo (2TB), Buffalo NAS (2TB), Netgear WNDR4000 & 3800 Routers, (2) Netgear GS608 Switches. APC UPS.
Powered Source: Illudium P-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have playlists in .m3u format, but I actually want to create new play lists. I was thinking of a Denon AVR-3312CI receiver that will use playlists on my DLNA server, but it requires that the playlists be in the same directories with the audio files. It would be well worth it to have a device that would allow me to use the directory structure I have now in my NAS (D-Link DNS-323). What would I use with the NTV550 to create playlists?
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:58 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Slosh is on a distinguished road

I have a playlist folder in my music folder (USB HDD connected to NTV550), but the NTV550 only allows me to play them randomly, which of course pretty much defeats the purpose of creating the .m3u files in the first place. Hopefully the next firmware updates fixes this issue. Also it seems the NTV550 doesn't use all of the file info in the .m3u playlists. For example: one song I put in a playlist comes from the Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On CD, but when I play the playlist on the NTV550 it plays the track from the Built To Spill - Live CD. With foobar, MediaMonkey 4, etc. it plays from the desired album so it's got to be that the NTV550 only looks at the Artist and Song and pulls it from the first album alphabetically that matches that criteria, even though the .m3u itself points to the intended album.
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I has sent a note to Netgear support asking the question about whether the playlist files needed to be in the same directory as the audio files. Here is the response I got:
As of now, M3U play list is not compatible with NTV550. You can visit the links below for more information regarding the M3U files and NTV550:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=61796

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=72225

http://neotv550.uservoice.com/forums...-compatibility
If not M3U, what playlists are supported? I just spoke to support and they were NO help.
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Finally figured out that the NTV550 does not support "standard" (m3u or pls) playlists with relative paths. It only supports lists created in its own interface. I don't believe that's what I want. I guess the EVA 2000, 8000, and 9150 support them.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
NETGEAR User

dubpistol is on a distinguished road

m3u-playlists are working. I use playlists with relative pathes made with foobar2000/mp3tag and search&replace. That's the way they look inside after I replaced the pathes with search&replace:

Code:
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\01. Atmos - Raumwelt Signal.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\02. Atmos - AI Bummer.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\03. Atmos - KNS.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\04. Atmos - Metro Deluxe.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\05. Atmos - Umbau.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\06. Atmos - Scent of a Tunnel.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\07. Atmos - Transmission in Vain.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\08. Atmos - Ordinary Weekend.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\01. Atmos - Fill The Hat.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\02. Atmos - Average Beverage.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\03. Atmos - Sonic Kipper.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\04. Atmos - Cable Enable.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\05. Atmos - Jimmy The Plate.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\06. Atmos - Qualitaet Im Quadrat.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - Headcleaner\07. Atmos - Scientific Coverup.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Chicane - Behind The Sun\01. Chicane - Overture.flac
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Chicane - Behind The Sun\02. Chicane - Low Sun.flac
All playlists are stored at Musik\Playlists at the attached usd-drive
The music is stored at Musik\CD Archiv\

So I am able to select and play the playlists with the netv550-gui (music -> playlists)
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dubpistol, you need to work for Netgear support!

What options do you use to create the playlist and what do you replace when they are done?
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM
NETGEAR User

dubpistol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberger View Post
What options do you use to create the playlist
I create the playlists (or autoplaylists, but that's another theme) with my favorite audioplayer foobar2000. In my opinion it's the easiest and most comfortable way. It's useful to choose a layout with the playlistmanager (and to learn how to use foobar2000). After compiling the playlists I save them as m3u (hold down shift and klick file, klick save all playlists... and choose the desired location).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberger View Post
what do you replace when they are done?
It depends on your folderstructure and if the drive with your music was attached at the neotv550 or at your computer (both possible - all you have to do is choose the right path before in foobar2000 under Library -> Configure)

If the drive was attached at computer, the content of the playlists looks like:
Code:
N:\MUSIK\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\01. Atmos - Raumwelt Signal.flac
Here is a picture from the directory structure, when my usb-drive, NTV550 (N: ), is attached at my computer:

If the drive was attached at ntv550 it looks something like this:
Code:
\\neotv550\attached devices\eSATA #759708980\MUSIK\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\01. Atmos - Raumwelt Signal.flac
Of course ntv550 isn't able to understand those both versions. So you have to change the absolute pathes to relative pathes. What exactly have to be changed depends on where the music and where the playlists are stored. In my case (take a look at the screenshot above) the pathes have to look this way (maybe it could be useful to google for relative and absolute path to understand):
Code:
..\CD Archiv\[elektronisch]\Atmos - 2nd Brigade\01. Atmos - Raumwelt Signal.flac
So all I have to do, is to change "N:\MUSIK" (or "\\neotv550\attached devices\eSATA #759708980\MUSIK" to ".."

Thats very easy and fast done with a tool like Search&Replace. Of course you can use any other tool for every step. Important is to understand, how the content of the playlists have to look. I hope I could help a little bit.
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Are you saying that if mp3tag creates a m3u playlist like this:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:242,The Commitments - Mustang Sally
..\The Commitments - The Commitments\01 - Mustang Sally - The Commitments.flac
#EXTINF:214,Judy Collins - Desperado
..\Judy Collins - Forever_ [Disc 2]\02 - Desperado - Judy Collins.flac
I change it to:
..\The Commitments - The Commitments\01 - Mustang Sally - The Commitments.flac
..\Judy Collins - Forever_ [Disc 2]\02 - Desperado - Judy Collins.flac
getting rid of the #EXTM3U and #EXTINF labels?