Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:19 AM
NETGEAR User

tamanaco is on a distinguished road
Default Netgear Genie for Android & the 4500

I just installed the Genie for Android app, but I did not find it very useful. Here are the limitations I have found so far.

It only displays a couple wireless settings and no other router setting, the font used in the network map to identify devices is unreadable and the traffic meter can use some simple graphics. It also crashed my phone a couple times.

I guess this is app is still in its infancy, but if Netgear were to add features similar to those in the desktop Genie it could be a useful tool. If Netgear were to add functions to the router and the Genie app to manage and monitor the router remotely using the cell phone network it would be great.

I wonder if anyone else here is using it with the 4500 and can share their experiences and discuss how this app could be improved in this thread. Who knows, maybe Netgear reads this thread and sees more demand for this app improvements would follow.

Moderator, if this topic does not belong in this forum feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mFnb25mbG93Il0.
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Chuck_s is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Netgear Genie for Android & the 4500

???

This "app" is identical to the desktop Genie. At least with my Apple iPhone.

All the app does is enter the same address as you'd enter manually on the address line of your browser for remote access. Only "trick" must be obtaining the port address. I've been accessing my 4500 for weeks via the iPhone's browser. This app is handier because it has an icon.

Identical to the desktop when connected to the router locally, or on a 4G connection with the router's wireless turned off.

-- Chuck
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

I'm iPhone user so can't comment on android app version of Genie.

if you have 2cents to share on app seems to lack of feature in android side then contact support via support at my.netgear.com and send your thoughts.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:48 AM
NETGEAR User

tamanaco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_s View Post
???

This "app" is identical to the desktop Genie. At least with my Apple iPhone.-- Chuck
Maybe the iPhone version has features not yet available in the Android version. Let me ask you... does the iPhone version allow you access to:

Network Status: (Internet and WiFi connection)
Router Network Settings - Besides SSID, Key Passwork and wireless channel
ReadyShare Settings

There are only six large icons in the home page of the Android app... Wireless Settings, Guess Access, Network Map, Parental Controls, Traffic Meter and My Media. How many in the iPhone version?
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

The iPhone version is doing nothing more than accessing the router remotely via it's web and port address. There's no "genie." It's accessing the Genie in the router's firmware. As such all functions are available just as on your screen. I can turn the 2.4 or 5G ports on or off, check traffic, check to see what's logged onto the router, everything I can do with my PC 24" away from the router. No surprise, it's http.

Instead of accessing the firmware via 192.168.1.1 like you do with your PC, the iPhone (via it's web browser which Apple calls Safari) accesses the firmware via the router's external IP and port address. This is displayed by several programs. Speedtest.net will show the IP, but not the port for example. The router Advanced/Advanced Setup/Remote management tab shows the full address of the router and the port. You can use this with your phone browser and ignore the "app." But the app captures the port number somehow.

https://12.123.12.123:1234 is the format, the data before the colon is the modem's address, the last is the port. I can type those numbers on the address line of ANY computer on the web and access my router.

Oh, yeah, the router has to be set to allow remote access. Same screen.

HTH,

-- Chuck
Old April 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

As an additional thought: Can the Android screen scroll around or pinch smaller? The six icons are only part of the Genie screen as displayed on my PC (and yours) and on my iPhone.

-- Chuck