Old April 27th, 2012, 04:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

djm66 is on a distinguished road
Default Have yet to find anything better than EVA!

Due to the lack of firmware updates and the fact that some of my movies (mainly recent MKVs) no longer play on Eva (forcing me to stick with xvids for the most part) I recently experimented with 2 new streamers, the Dune HD 301 and the Boxee Box.

Both have been sent back and I'm back with my EVA so it still holds up well after all these years!

Main problems with the other models were:

-no ability to shuffle all music or all photos (unbelievable that these units lacked this basic function)
-no ability to multitask i.e. music and photos at same time
-for the Boxee, it took hours to scan for new media and you couldn't scan on local folders... rubbish

So I'm back to my trusty EVA again.. it's quick, gives you control and can multitask. One killer EVA function is the ability to make new music playlists on the fly whilst your slideshow shuffles on in the background - the other streamers I tried have no where near this kind of multi-task ability.

Out of interest, what have other people gone on to use? I would normally buy a new Netgear model (with assurances that existing functionality is preserved) but not sure what the ongoing support is like?

DJM
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Bugsy2005 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Have yet to find anything better than EVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm66 View Post
Due to the lack of firmware updates and the fact that some of my movies (mainly recent MKVs) no longer play on Eva (forcing me to stick with xvids for the most part) I recently experimented with 2 new streamers, the Dune HD 301 and the Boxee Box.

Both have been sent back and I'm back with my EVA so it still holds up well after all these years!

Main problems with the other models were:

-no ability to shuffle all music or all photos (unbelievable that these units lacked this basic function)
-no ability to multitask i.e. music and photos at same time
-for the Boxee, it took hours to scan for new media and you couldn't scan on local folders... rubbish

So I'm back to my trusty EVA again.. it's quick, gives you control and can multitask. One killer EVA function is the ability to make new music playlists on the fly whilst your slideshow shuffles on in the background - the other streamers I tried have no where near this kind of multi-task ability.

Out of interest, what have other people gone on to use? I would normally buy a new Netgear model (with assurances that existing functionality is preserved) but not sure what the ongoing support is like?

DJM
With certain limitations (like the EVA8K doesn't play "proper" HD content I havent moved from the 4 EVA units we have in the hourse. The primary purposes of the devices (in our house) is to allow the kids to play ISO images from a central server. In that respect it does exactly what we want of it.

However, I have a large HD home movie, photo and music collection which I would like to deliver to the different rooms but havent don't anything about it because the cost of upgrading would be (for me) too expensive.

HOWEVER...I am keeping an eye on a solution using the Rasperry Pi and XBMC. Although I don't yet have an RPi I have had a play with XBMC on windows and love alot of what it can do - especially the fact it can be fully controlled from a device such as an iPad. Also love the fact that the library of DVDs and music is visible (in cover art form) on the iPad

Just my 2c!
Old July 19th, 2012, 12:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

sebus is on a distinguished road

RPi is definitely a way to go.
Cost of the unit, power supply, SD card, case, remote is 60
Make sure you have HDMI capable amp

It does play perfect with Openelec (Raspbmc is still work in progress at RC3)

sebus
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Bugsy1957 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebus View Post
RPi is definitely a way to go.
Cost of the unit, power supply, SD card, case, remote is 60
Make sure you have HDMI capable amp

It does play perfect with Openelec (Raspbmc is still work in progress at RC3)

sebus
I borrowed an RPI and tried Raspxb,c RC1 but had some stability issues but as it was a very early implementation I expected that. One of the things I liked about Raspxbmc was the fact that it was easy for a Windows type like me to install. Having looked at Openelec it seems a bit more involved

Dave
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sebus is on a distinguished road

Involved?

Download ready made image - http://blog.thestateofme.com/2012/05...with-openelec/

write to SD, stick in RPi, all done

sebus
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Bugsy2005 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebus View Post
Involved?

Download ready made image - http://blog.thestateofme.com/2012/05...with-openelec/

write to SD, stick in RPi, all done

sebus
Now thats the sort of process I was looking for ! The original notes that I read talked about (what seemed to be) a long winded way of extracting.

I may well have a play

Thanks