Old April 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

MayMay is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lost Internet Connection Issues with 3800

I contacted Netgear support and they sent me an email to reset everything and following their steps in changing several parameters. It hasn't been a full day yet without a connectivity lost...so let's see what happen in the week with my current setting. If all goes well, then I'm going to slowly make some changes that I want to do such as disabling the SID name from showing up around my neighborhood. Currently, it's visible.
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Update: Well, I come home and I noticed my printer went offline again. I logged into the Genie gui and noticed Attached Devices for all wireless connection are no longer showing up. It had 4 devices attached this morning. After a reboot of the Netgear router, the 4 devices show up in the Attached Devices.

I sent the update to support.

I can't be the only one with this bad experience....
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Swimmerbird123 is on a distinguished road

Another thing to try is to set a fixed channel for the router, instead of using 'auto' to select one. This fix worked for me this morning.

My symptoms: My music player and my server on a separate computer are both connected wirelessly to my router, and have worked fine for the last couple weeks. This morning, the music player said it couldn't find the server on my computer. The music player's networking setup checked out correctly, but it said it couldn't ping the computer, and the computer's networking seemed to be working too since it could reach the internet through the router. But for some reason, neither the computer nor the music player could see each other. The computer also did not show up on the router's 'attached devices', but the music player was there. I rebooted the computer and it re-connected to the router but still did not show up in the 'attached devices'. Then I changed the router channel setting from 'auto' to '9' and 'applied' it, suddenly all devices showed up and the server and music player could find each other.

I'm not exactly sure why this happens. It is not just the netgear router since it happened to me also with a linksys router. For some reason, there seems to be a mismatch sometimes between the channels that one device offers and another can receive. Someone in another forum suggested that it is because U.S. regulations limit devices to channel 1-11 but some other countries offer 13 or 14 channels. If the 'auto'-channel selector happens to switch to one of these extended channels, evidently some devices can find it but others can't. I don't know if this is actually the cause, but using a fixed channel solved my selective wireless dropout this morning.

Swimmer
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:02 AM

scrappymomtotwins is on a distinguished road

First, I'll confess to being a router idiot. That is, I know the most rudimentary things about it, but not the tweaks/fine tuning.

I just got the 3800 basically because A) our crappy Belkin died and B) I needed a router immediately and it's all I could locate. Setup went fine. So far it's running ok--except it drops connection on the Xbox every few minutes, which is REALLY annoying to the person playing the game(s). How do I get it to stop doing that??

I'm hoping I dont run into the have-to-reboot issues with this Netgear--it happened with our old Netgear router, which is why I went to Belkin but Belkin turned out to be worse. Sigh.
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have been following Netgear support suggestion.

First, they had me reset everything and set the channel to 1. After 1 day, it lost connection. Similar to you, all my wireless devices did not show up in the Attached Devices. Usually, I have about 4 wireless attached to it at all time, including my wireless printer. After setting it to channel 1, it failed after one day. Netgear support suggested that I changed it to channel 9. It stays connected for about less than 2 days. Yesterday night, I noticed my printer was offline so I logged in to the Netgear Genie again and noticed all my wireless disappeared in Attached Devices.

For you, even if you changed it to channel 9, the question is...can it stay up for 1 week or 1 month?

For me, this all started when I updated to the latest firmware .32 and then .34. It was working fine at .24 as the wireless stay up for a month or more without any drop.

Now, if I want to use my wireless printer, I need to reboot my router. I'm currently using the wireless connection on my laptop, but it doesn't show up in the Attached Devices in Netgear Genie. If I want everything to show up, then I need to reboot the router. And then I have to repeat the process when I lose the wireless connection.

I spoke to a friend who is using the Netgear 4500 and he has no issues with connection drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerbird123 View Post
Another thing to try is to set a fixed channel for the router, instead of using 'auto' to select one. This fix worked for me this morning.

My symptoms: My music player and my server on a separate computer are both connected wirelessly to my router, and have worked fine for the last couple weeks. This morning, the music player said it couldn't find the server on my computer. The music player's networking setup checked out correctly, but it said it couldn't ping the computer, and the computer's networking seemed to be working too since it could reach the internet through the router. But for some reason, neither the computer nor the music player could see each other. The computer also did not show up on the router's 'attached devices', but the music player was there. I rebooted the computer and it re-connected to the router but still did not show up in the 'attached devices'. Then I changed the router channel setting from 'auto' to '9' and 'applied' it, suddenly all devices showed up and the server and music player could find each other.

I'm not exactly sure why this happens. It is not just the netgear router since it happened to me also with a linksys router. For some reason, there seems to be a mismatch sometimes between the channels that one device offers and another can receive. Someone in another forum suggested that it is because U.S. regulations limit devices to channel 1-11 but some other countries offer 13 or 14 channels. If the 'auto'-channel selector happens to switch to one of these extended channels, evidently some devices can find it but others can't. I don't know if this is actually the cause, but using a fixed channel solved my selective wireless dropout this morning.

Swimmer
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:22 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

StratmanX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMay View Post
For me, this all started when I updated to the latest firmware .32 and then .34. It was working fine at .24 as the wireless stay up for a month or more without any drop.
Why not flash back to the .24 firmware that worked well for you?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I did...I gave up on the support...they couldn't help in resolving my issue.

I reverted back to .24 and it has been running for 2 days without any issues. I guess I won't benefit the latest changes... Whatever they did, affected my connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
Why not flash back to the .24 firmware that worked well for you?
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ACrackerJack is on a distinguished road

I reverted back, also. The issue still exists.
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM

jefan is on a distinguished road

Just in case this may prove useful to someone else. About 6 weeks ago, I started having constant intermittent connection problems with my WNDR3800 with both Ethernet and Wireless connections. I tried reverting back from the .34 to the .24 firmware - no help. I then bypassed the router and was still having the intermittent connection problem with my Motorola SB6120 modem Ethernet to my Windows 7 PC. I then replaced the coax cable in my apartment, upgraded to a Motorola SB6121 modem, replaced the Ethernet cable from the modem to the PC, disabled the onboard Ethernet controller and installed a new PCI Ethernet adapter card... problem persisted. I then had Cox send out a field tech on a trouble call. The tech replaced the coax jumper cable from the Cox pedestal to my apartment coax line with new fittings... problem solved. I am back to using the WNDR3800 with firmware V1.0.0.34 with no problem for 2 weeks now. I know each case is unique, but in my case... turns out the first trouble shooting step should have been to have Cox send out a field tech.
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:25 AM

jefan is on a distinguished road

This may seem ridiculously obvious, but after EXTENSIVE trouble shooting on my own with intermittent Internet connection problems with my WNDR3800, I finally had Cox send out one of their field techs on a trouble call. The tech replaced the coax jumper cable from the Cox pedestal to my apartment coax line with new fittings. Problem solved! I have been up and running for 2 weeks with the WNDR3800 using firmware version V1.0.0.34. I know each case is unique, but if anyone out there is having intermittent connection problems and have not yet had the ISP send out a tech, I recommend doing so.