Old May 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

lesken is on a distinguished road
Angry New firmware...? Pie in the sky.

Just to keep everyone updated, this is the latest in my adventure with Netgear Support and trying to get a date out of them.

"This is a continuation of my earlier submission no 18332159 - NTV550- Question on when will the last official firmware be released.

The last reply from your organisation with regard to my original question was from:

Kayti T.
Customer Care Advocate
NETGEAR Inc.

Part of her reply included the line "please contact me should you have any further cause for concern."

I have a number of concerns but I'll deal with 2 of them for now.

1. Kayti T replied through the same mailbox that everyone in Netgear Support seems to use; NETGEAR Support <do-not-reply@netgear-support.com>

How exactly am I supposed to contact Kayti?

2. Having written her reply, I now find that my submission is closed, and I still do not have an answer to my original question, when will the NTV550 official firmware be released?

Despite Kayti's statements about "maintaining a reputation for excellence", "committed to .... highest standards", I am appalled at the complete lack any standards whatsoever in the way Netgear treats its customers. If you choose not to believe me, take the time out to read through some of the entries in the NTV550 Beta forum.

On a personal note, I have worked in I.T. for over 30 years, covering mainframes, PCs, networks, communicatins, software and hardware development and manufacture. In every single job, the emphasis has always been on profitability based on delivery of quality product, and that includes keeping the customers informed. Until now, I have never experienced the situation where a development team in an organisation does not have a projected delivery date. No self-respecting management team would permit it...unless the management team really doesn't care about the product it's already shipped.....

I'm not going to labour the point, but quite frankly, as a customer-facing organisation, Netgear is a disgrace. I am a customer, as such, I have not been served well by Netgear, and even now you steadfastly refuse to make any sort of amends to correct your blatant arrogance and indifference.

If you're not going to produce the laughably late production firmware, at least have the guts to say so. I can send my NTV550s back, buy an alternative working product and get on with my life and forget all about you. If you actually do intend to fix this situation, at least give me a date when I and the rest of the current user base can expect it."

I know you all think I'm wasting my time and I'm probably flogging a dead horse, but it keeps me out of the pub

Les Kennady
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM
NETGEAR Expert

ablevy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New firmware...? Pie in the sky.

I would say flogging a dead Neo.

Alan
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

anakin1138 is on a distinguished road

Back in march, a Netgear employee mentioned that there would be a delay of 90 days for the new firmware to be released.

90 days that's 3 months. Therefore, technically the last firmware should be out near June 1st.

Just sayin'

btw, i too hate the long wait and am disappointed in Netgear.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:46 AM
NETGEAR Expert

loekf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1138 View Post
Back in march, a Netgear employee mentioned that there would be a delay of 90 days for the new firmware to be released.

90 days that's 3 months. Therefore, technically the last firmware should be out near June 1st.

Just sayin'

btw, i too hate the long wait and am disappointed in Netgear.
Just build a cheap HTPC, install XBMC and don't look back... I'm done with these Sigma or Realtlek media players, with their immature firmware at lauch date and slow updates and basically end of life after one year.
Onkyo TX-NR609 (TMA speakers, Phonar sub-woofer)
Philips 37PFL5603 37" LCDTV | PS3 "slim" with 500 GB | Philips DVP5992 1080p DVD player
Logitech Harmony One
Sonos multi-room "enabled"
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Xyxox is on a distinguished road

I'm basically giving up on my two NeoTV550s and will be moving to Popcorn Time. the devices are more expensive but the reviews are good and support seems solid.

Will probably put the two NeoTv550s on eBay at som point.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Xyxox is on a distinguished road

Make that Popcorn Hour, not Popcorn Time.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

8bit is on a distinguished road

If you go with a PCH and want full menu support from BD ISO's, make sure you purchase the C-300 and not the A-300. I owned an A-300 and it's BD ISO menu support was hit or miss; more miss than hit I might add.

I also experienced issues with some of my movies not playing on the A-300 at all and would require a power cycle.

My HDI Dune on the other hand is rock solid and has played every single movie I've thrown at it but one. It also has full BD ISO menu support.

The PCH are great boxes but weren't as stable for me as the Dune players.

One advantage of the newer PCH series is that they have a built-in thumb/movie scraper. With Dune you have to scrape your movie collection with a PC app but I found it to be easy to use and looks/works better IMO. It also blows the Netgear scrapers out of the water in terms of intuitive layout and functionality. I just scraped move thumbs for my 550. The software I tried out was unstable or slow as hell.

For the price of the 550's they are great to have for inexperienced users. Dunes require a bit more know-how.

Cheers,
8bit
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Blenky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
My HDI Dune on the other hand is rock solid and has played every single movie I've thrown at it but one. It also has full BD ISO menu support.
8bit
Exactly what Dune model do you have?

Cheers
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dfsooner is on a distinguished road

Well, I finally had enough. Yesterday I took the padlock off the wallet and order a Dune HD Smart H1. I just hope it is as good as people seem to think it is. If not, I might just have to build my own HTPC.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Blenky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bit View Post

8bit
I've ordered a Dune HD Smart D1. Trying to find the user community for Dune products. Found something on the company web site but doesn't seem to be used much.

Any ideas?

Ta