Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM

ibis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LAN connectivity interrupted while renewing IP address lease

Last Saturday I bought the WNDR4000 to replace my very old US Robotics USR5461.

What I wanted? Higher transfer speed and higher coverage.
What I got? Higher transfer speed and lower coverage... and a connectivity problem with a Vista PC.

I was pretty sure of the Netgear quality and I bought this router without reading any forum, but as soon as I started to use it I had a LAN connectivity problem with one of my PCs.

So, tonight I tried the best kind of "stress test" I could do at home in order to check the performances and in order to understand if I should come back to the shop in the next 2 days (before it's too late) and chose another product.

So, this was the scenario:
- WNDR4000 connected to my ISP modem.
- IPs provided by router's DHCP

These are the clients connected:
A - PC WinXP wireless connected to 5GHz network - max signal strength
B - PC WinXP wireless connected to 2,4GHz network - max signal strength
C - PC WinVista wireless connected to 5GHz network - max signal strength
D - iPad2 wireless connected to 5GHz network - max signal strength
E - XBOX 360 wired connected
F - WD MyBook World Edition II 4TB in Raid1 (mirror) wired connected

This is what I have done (for about 1 and half hours):

A.
- uploading data to "F"
- downloading data from "F"
- videocalling via Skype "C"
- streaming video from "F"
- browsing web

B.
- uploading data to "F"

C.
- uploading data to "F"
- videocalling via Skype "A"

D.

E.
- alternatively streaming music or video from "F"

Problems found:
Only the machine "C" (PC with Windows Vista) had connectivity problems.
It automatically disconnected from the router EXACTLY every 30 minutes!
The Windows message was the usual "limited/unavailable connectivity".
LAN resources and Internet were unavailable.

To let it come back to normality I just had to switch off and then immediately on the WiFi switch on the PC. The PC then got its IP and it started to work again for other 30 minutes.

I checked the Windows events log on the Vista machine and the only thing I was able to see was that the DHCP assigned an IP to the machine every 30 minutes... and it seems that during this operation the connection went down.
Also, another Windows event I found at every disconnection was the following: NetBT_Tcpip_ ... but I don't know what that is.

So, after this one and half hour test, I then checked the machine without exchanging any file via LAN, but only being connected on Internet (browsing, Skype, etc..) and nothing bad happend.
I also had a one hour Skype conf call without any problem.

Apparently I have this problem only when this Vista PC exchanges files with the NAS and in case of backup this is terrible!

So guys, every tip is welcome.
What should I do? Keep this router or give it back to the shop and get something different?
If I should change it, what should I take? I spent few hours on the web today searching for a good replacement, but also the E4200 seems to have his own problems...

Thank you in advance for the support.
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

gijs007 is on a distinguished road

Make the dhcp lease time longer or use a bandwith limiter so its not using the entire connection Or use static ip's.

Last edited by Mars Mug; May 4th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:38 AM

ibis is on a distinguished road

I just brought back the WND4000 to the shop and got my money back.
I will now see what to buy. Maybe the Asus N66U or the Linksys EA4500.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

HansSchulze is on a distinguished road

The only fix so far was to use a secondary device on the network to serve the DHCP. Pretty pathetic that it's been since December 2011 that this ticket has been open and no fix.

I also put the WAN side to fixed IP address because the router log was filling up with messages about it's own external IP address.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

HansSchulze is on a distinguished road

The only fix so far was to use a secondary device on the network to serve the DHCP. Pretty pathetic that it's been since December 2011 that this ticket has been open and no fix.

I also put the WAN side to fixed IP address because the router log was filling up with messages about it's own external IP address.

Oh, and there's no option for changing the lease time on my router...
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

fastbike is on a distinguished road

I only wish I had found this thread sooner. Thanks for those who contributed.

I'm not a network expert so I have wasted a HUGE amount of time trying to discover why my backups using robocopy were failing (even though internet etc worked fine).

I'm using a DGN2200, and needless to say the disconnections are due to the DHCPNACK being issued by one of the PCs during the backup. Eventually after a lot of googling DHCPNACK I discovered this thread.
Static IP isn't a good option for me because one of the PCs is a laptop I need to use on other networks.
I've issued a support ticket, but not feeling optomistic that this bug will ever be fixed.

Can anyone recommend a router that works properly
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM

FrozenSolid is on a distinguished road

I know I am bumping a slightly old thread, but I want to confirm that this isn't just an issue with the WNDR4000 router, but that I am also seeing this issue on the WNDR3500L as well as the CG3000D gateway/router.

Dealing with support on this issue has been a nightmare, because the answer they keep coming back is to RMA the device. Obviously that won't fix a firmware issue. No one has been able to tell me how I can report a bug directly to Netgear's firmware development teams, or have the case passed along in a way that actually reaches them.

Just now, Technical Support has told me to call Customer Support rather than technical support. Good times.

Meanwhile my solution was to install a brand new DHCP server using Ubuntu Server Edition, completely bypassing the built in DHCP and DNS servers on the Netgear router.
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No one has been able to tell me how I can report a bug directly to Netgear's firmware development teams, or have the case passed along in a way that actually reaches them.
you will NOT able to .

you can ONLY use portal, my.netgear.com to put trouble ticket or call (portal is better way). Usually you have to reach L3 to really make huge steps for issues are really in firmware related that L3 must assist you.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Lichbane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSolid View Post
I know I am bumping a slightly old thread, but I want to confirm that this isn't just an issue with the WNDR4000 router, but that I am also seeing this issue on the WNDR3500L as well as the CG3000D gateway/router.
And with the DGND3700.

After having been interrupted one too many times during gaming sessions, I've finally tracked down the problem to the one described here. It's been happening for quite some time now, but I guess I have a lot of patience. But it also makes sense now that this may be the cause of interrupts when streaming video across the LAN to the TV. And it took a while to find the exact problem, so I pity the average person who gets this problem.

My current setup has reserved IPs tied to MAC addresses for all known devices (perhaps a few that I haven't caught up with) that fall outside the DHCP range. The theory was there would be no conflict if a new device was added. I hope that is correct.

I find this so incredible it's such a widespread problem in Netgear routers that it's still persisting. Unfortunately my router falls outside the warranty period so no chance of getting a replacement.

So does anyone have any workarounds? Is there a fix coming to the DGND3700? Can anyone give me any advice?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM

micro9mm is on a distinguished road

Wow, just Wow. I have to say, poor showing by Netgear.

As many have already done, I (luckily) found this thread after hours of event logs and google research. Add me to the list of customers wanting this to be addressed, or at the very least a workaround suggested.

Setting all machines on a network staticly = not an acceptable workaround
Installing a new machine just to run dhcp = not an acceptable workaround