Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > RangeMax Adapters

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM

Micael411 is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614v10 to WN311B adapter

OK, hopefully someone here can help...

My landlord downstairs has set up a guest network for me from his WGR614v10 so I can ditch my dsl and just pay him. First I tried using my WNR2000 router to act as a receiver (bridge?) but messed it up and couldn't even access the router config anymore, had reset to factory settings.

I bought a WN311B PCI adapter, but I can not connect. My laptop works fine, and after a bit I got my nook to work. We've gone through having an open network with no encryption to currently trying with WPA2-PSK. If I try to connect with Win 7 it just says "Windows is unable to connect to network." Troubleshooting just says to restart the router.
If I try NetGear's Smart Wizard it will detect the network fine in setup, and say the signal is at 79-80%. But at the "Settings" tab, it just says "scanning" in the status bar, it always says channel 6, and shows signal at 1 dot.

I did very briefly get it to work when I first tried the new adapter. Windows even asked me what type of network this was (Home/Work/Public) but when I tried to open a web browser it was not working anymore.

I don't think it's range as my laptop and nook work. I can get it to connect to my WNR2000 router, so I don't think it's necessarily the adapter.

Thanks for anyone that can help!

--Mike--

Running Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Firewall in case it matters.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614v10 to WN311B adapter

1dot of signal is your problem
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Micael411 is on a distinguished road

Um... well, I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately it obviously doesn't help in the least. I'm infering from your terse statement that perhaps you think signal strength is an issue? However, I said:

[QUOTE=Micael411;403384]

If I try NetGear's Smart Wizard it will detect the network fine in setup, and say the signal is at 79-80%.

I don't think it's range as my laptop and nook work. I can get it to connect to my WNR2000 router, so I don't think it's necessarily the adapter.

[QUOTE]

I had forgotten to mention that on Windows Wireless Network Connections list it is rated at Good or Excellent. It is only on that status bar that it seems to show the signal strength is poor.

If you don't have an answer, I understand. Perhaps someone else on here or another forum I've posted on will.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:56 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

If status is down to on bar then likely that is your problem

Move the of to get more decent bar
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com