Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:19 AM

TheBiggestLebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Default username/password not working on CG3000D

Hi all-

I replaced my old modem+router setup a couple of months ago with a CG3000D gateway. It was pretty much a breeze to set up and I haven't had a problem with it until yesterday, when I couldn't get the internet to connect. I tried several solutions, finally settling on pressing the Restore Factory Defaults button, figuring I would just bite it and take the time to reset my network afterward.

I know the factory default restore took place, as my wifi network has now reset to a generic name "CharterWiFi8180" (my ISP is Charter, obviously). My desktop computer connected by ethernet cable directly to the gateway can get online fine, but when I try to go to the gateway's address (http://192.168.0.1), it is not accepting the default username/password (admin/password). I'm not sure why it isn't accepting them, as they worked fine when I first installed the gateway and I've never changed them (though that should be moot anyway after doing the factory default restore). Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM

adm322 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Default username/password not working on CG3000D

username: chtruser
password: charter

same thing happened to me and that login information worked
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Stevenrowe6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm322 View Post
username: chtruser
password: charter

same thing happened to me and that login information worked
Hey just a quick reply to thank-you for your post. I'm a charter user in Long Beach with a Cg3000d and that username and password worked perfectly!

Once again thanks a bunch!!
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:36 AM

cenderle64 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Default username/password not working on CG3000D

I had this same problem and live in Alabama. The username/password worked for me as well and it is great I could get in and change my settings again but my question is, this is my routers and not Charters and why would a factory reset change the username/password to a charter setting and not the Netgear setting and why is this happening,sometimes twice a week or rather who is doing this and why?? Why does it reset and say chtruser?? Before it was admin so how can I change it back to admin(I looked at every setting and saw no way to change) and how can I prevent someone from doing this again? This has been going on for several months and I don't like having to setup my network over and over again every few days??? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:59 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

Because that is an ISP branded router supplied to the user by Charter cable. You need to contact Charter for all questions.
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but my question is, this is my routers and not Charters and why would a factory reset change the username/password to a charter setting and not the Netgear setting and why is this happening,sometimes twice a week or rather who is doing this and why??
For one if you purchased from the ISP this model is ISP branded unit. all CGxx unit are ISP/Provider devices

http://www.netgear.com/service-provi...s/default.aspx

Quote:
Why does it reset and say chtruser??
Per above this is branded firmware with ISP info so you will NOT abel to change nor rest to netgear. Hard coded in firmware by Charger

Quote:
Before it was admin so how can I change it back to admin(I looked at every setting and saw no way to change) and how can I prevent someone from doing this again?
I never heard the changes happens but with cable modem devices they can push files to cable modem so that have some controls

Quote:
This has been going on for several months and I don't like having to setup my network over and over again every few days??? Any help would be much appreciated!
Not sure what has changed but here is the deal

With this model , as long as you have ISP branded firmware you have not have much answer here.

Your best choice to to return the CGxx model and get your own cable modem and choice of wireless router .. You will be happier
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com