Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Old March 31st, 2012, 04:10 PM

Bourne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brand new CMD31T Cable modem constantly dropping internet connection on Comcast

Im having this issue as well except with Cox. Over the course of a month, i have had new coax cable, the line on the wall replaced, and entire new line put into my apartment, different routers, and 2 modems of this model, still the same problem as you guys. I get disconnected like 20 times a day. Netgear support did absolutely nothing, you get foreign people who you can barely even understand.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Alihector is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Brand new CMD31T Cable modem constantly dropping internet connection on Comcast

I just bought this device from a Charter authorized dealer in March. At that time this device was approved to be on the Charter network. It has since been blacklisted and I was told I needed to address this with Netgear.

I found the blog discussing this Netgear CMD31T http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=75134 and the article regarding problems with Comcast.

Just got off the phone with Netgear "support" regarding their being blacklisted from Charter. The tech told me first that this was Charter's problem but they could help getting connected to the network maybe. She was an idiot. Did not compute through her brain that they were blacklisted due to incompatibility. She said it must be Charter's fault because their device shows compatibility and they haven't heard of any issues. The tech said she was going to call Charter - then called me back to say she couldn't find their phone number. I swear.

As it turns out I am connected (although I experience issues) because I connected during the time they were still authorized. Being blacklisted means Charter can kick me off at any time and if I get off their network cannot ever reconnect with this device.

Netgear needs to issue a firmware update or a new modem and replace this one at their expense.

What they are doing at Netgear is fraud plain and simple. They continue to sell a product that not only does not work with specified providers but one that they are blacklisted from. Time to contact the AG, BBB, FTC and others.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:09 AM

Consumer5150 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brand new CMD31T Cable modem constantly dropping internet connection on Comcast

Hello all - I joined so I could post here of my similar troubles now with the CMD31T.

Our previous networking setup was experiencing service interruptions and our ISP said it was due to the device not accepting the firmware updates. This causes the modem to cycle (connection interrupt). On the advice of ISP, we 'upgraded' to a DCOSIS 3 modem - the CMD31T which was listed as compatable. We purchased in late March the device and online with it sometime in April. We immediately noticed improvement in multiple connection scenarios and were pleased - very much so.

Now we have the same problem as before and our ISP is telling us we should eith buy or rent more equipment. This is unacceptable - the device is less than 6 months old.

Someone needs to own this issue, and seeing that the same issue is seen at more than one ISP, then my feeling is that Netgear needs to own it, or ISP's need to figure out how to properly write firmware...

For two days now, I have tried to submit support ticket to Netgear and a message of 'We are unable to process your request due to technical problems' or similar wording appears each time. I am not here for support, so please don't try to redirect me. I am here voicing my concern of an issue that I, like others are having with a specific Netgear product.

Heaven forbid we could get a straight answer from someone.

Firmware updates are pushed from the ISP's for cable modems and a post on another thread of this same modem, the poster seems to indicate that firmware updates are different if the device is branded vs customer owned.

Is this correct? Please provide proof if true.

I've used Netgear for years with few problems and enjoy the ease, simplicity, and reliability of their products - until recently. I wonder how many of these units have been sold, because it seems the wheels are coming off the cart with this device and I find a less than 6 month life in the field to be unacceptable. Escalation seems to be the order here.
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Some these units sold in retail based in region which are for it's ISP and branded firmware loaded is correct.

If you have issues at portal my.netgear.com then try later day
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Angry Re: Brand new CMD31T Cable modem constantly dropping internet connection on Comcast

Knock knock. Netgear has been BLACKLISTED from Charter. Again this means that NO NETGEAR modems are allowed to be connected going forward as of May 2012. Yet they as you can see are pretending this unit still can be sold for Charter. Fraud! I contacted the BBB and got a ridiculous letter back from a customer "support" rep asking for my help in researching how they were blacklisted and how they just never knew. Didn't offer me any solution. This is beyond outrageous. This is their business to know and to determine how to resolve it. They need to refund me for the unit and the cost of having a tech come out for an install with a different company's model. Next step Attorney General of CA office.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alihector View Post
Knock knock. Netgear has been BLACKLISTED from Charter. Again this means that NO NETGEAR modems are allowed to be connected going forward as of May 2012. Yet they as you can see are pretending this unit still can be sold for Charter. Fraud! I contacted the BBB and got a ridiculous letter back from a customer "support" rep asking for my help in researching how they were blacklisted and how they just never knew. Didn't offer me any solution. This is beyond outrageous. This is their business to know and to determine how to resolve it. They need to refund me for the unit and the cost of having a tech come out for an install with a different company's model. Next step Attorney General of CA office.
branded unit provided by Charter so I would contact Charter HQ about this matter.
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Negatory. Charter has stated in this article concerning it's FAULTY EQUIPMENT the CMD31T that we are entitled to a refund. Hmm.... but yet customer service refuses to answer regarding my request and you wouldn't know it from here where they are still blaming the cable companies. http://www.eedailynews.com/2012/08/n...owners-of.html
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM

istlota is on a distinguished road

It is unfortunate that both Netgear and Comcast are speaking somewhat vaguely about what they both know, without doubt, is a problem. They are doing this to try and delay what might one day be, and rightly so, a group settlement suit. Keep copies of your receipts girls and boys.

Comcast's issues are not just with the Netgear CMD31T. Browse over to their website and look thru the user forum about the problems with Arris Gateways which they themselves continue to supply to their customers and charge a monthly rental for.

People keep buying the CMD31T because it is one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, cable modems BestBuy sells. And, both NETGEAR and Comcast continue to insist it is supported even though their techs certainly know, but probably have been instructed not to tell you, that there is a compatibility problem. Which is why you get such vague double talk even from at least one 'expert' on this forum. They may eventually suggest that you try a different model cable modem, but will stop short of saying, plainly, who is at fault.

Anyway, yes, there is a compatibility problem. And, no, neither Comcast or Netgear will admit it.

Buy some other model cable modem. That is the wisest course of action at this time.

But, this sort of highlights how you are screwed no matter what you do in a culture where capital overrules Truth. Obviously, there is no guarantee that Comcast might not upgrade their system, again, and that might lead to problems with some other vendor's cable modem.