Old August 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM

stanelli is on a distinguished road
Default Cannot access Setup utility - WN2500RP

I am not able to access the setup utility to upgrade firmware and change the extender name, etc. on my new NETGEAR WN2500RP. I type http://www.mywifiext.net. and it always brings me to the NETGEAR Genie and it begins searching for my router. I have tried http://www.mywifiext.com and the IP 192.168.1.250. It always brings me to the NETGEAR Genie. I have rebooted the unit numerous times with the same results. The unit never asks for the user name and password.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 1st, 2013, 04:49 PM

eyesoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cannot access Setup utility - WN2500RP

The simplest solution that I've found comes in a problem during set up. Unfortunately, the only way that I know to correct it requires resetting your extender... believe me, i've tried this many times to come up with the solution

Here goes:

- Reset the extender and begin following the set-up steps
- When the extender proposes a new name for your extended network, erase it and replace it with NETGEAR_EXT (and if you are using dual band, enter NETGEAR_5GEXT)
- Complete the setup
- Once completed, you should be able to access www.mywifiext.net
- User name: admin Password: password
- Take care of whatever business you need (firmware update, fastlane, etc...)
- In there, you will have the option to change the name of your extended network to something that you'd prefer

That should do it. I do want to mention a couple of things that I am not certain of:

1) You MIGHT be able to use the proposed extended network names that net gear suggests during set-up. I'm not positive. But I do KNOW that the NETGEAR_EXT and NETGEAR_5GEXT names will work for you.

2) Once you have access to mywifiext.net, if you choose to change the name of your extended network to something other than NETGEAR_EXT or NETGEAR_5GEXT, I don't know if you'll be able to get back into mywifiext.net the next time.

Hope this helps!!