Old September 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jpal is on a distinguished road
Default WNR2000 Stops Broadcasting

I have a WNR2000 wireless router which, since I added a Win-7 64 bit laptop to my network over the weekend, has began to display a behavior of periodically dropping the broadcast of its wireless signal.

A simple turn off/turn back on of the wireless power button on the router solves the problem, only to have it return again in a few hours. When this occurs the indicator lights on the router all show that the route has power and is broadcasting, but the SSID is not picked up by any of my devices that were previously connected and they now have no internet connection.

The wired connections continue to function without issue throughout the wireless issues.

I worked with Netgear support, adjusted settings, updated firmware, changed broadcast channel, etc.only to continue to experience the issue.

Netgear issued an RMA, believing that the router was faulty. The replacement device arrived yesterday, was set up, and again stopped broadcasting overnight.

At this point I believe the issue has to be related to the Windows 7 64 bit machine now connecting to the network. I have searched extensively over the past week looking for an issue and have found nothing other than troubleshooting steps I have already taken and which have failed.

Has anyone seen this issue and successfully resolved the root cause?

Thank you.
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNR2000 Stops Broadcasting

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
check your surrounding and make sure it is not channel interference issues.
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the response.

Channel conflict is not the root cause here. I have scanned and identified an uncrowded channel which I am currently utilizing, still experiencing the same issue. Have tested on multiple channels, same issue persists regardless of channel assignment.

Again, the new variable in the equation here is that a Win-7 64bit laptop has been added to the network via a wireless connection. Since the day the laptop was brought into the house the issue has existed. I had the laptop out of the house all day yesterday and the wireless broadcast never cut out.

I am convinced the issue is in some way tied to the new machine on the network, just cannot find the right settings to adjust in order to resolve the problem.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Is there other wireless device that do not have issues
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, there are three iPhones, and and iPad which have been connecting for months without an issue. I have also had guests connect in the past without an issue.

The laptop in question connects to the network just fine, but after a period of time with the new laptop connected to the network (seems to vary from a few hours to a half day) the router will completely stop broadcasting a wireless signal. No SSID for my network is picked up, while other local wireless networks (neighbors) are still visible and the wireless devices that were connected no longer have a connection. However, when this occurs the two wired computers do continue to have a connection to the internet.

Thank you again for your replies.
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I should also add that, while this now goes beyond my technical knowledge, looking at router logs it seems to appear that this issue is occurring when the router reassigns an IP to the laptop in question. I would be willing to post a router log if that would be helpful.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Try static ip on laptop outside the DHCP range of router
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, will try the static IP assignment for the laptop tonight and report back.

Also, to add to the confusion - borrowed a different model of Netgear router last night and did not encounter the issue. The borrowed router is not assigning static IPs, but is using different security protocol and is only a b/g router unlike my n300.

So many variables...
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM

also update the driver/app for the wifi adapter from manufacture site.. ex Intel
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM

cweber77 is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat. Wnr2000v3, Windows 7 64bit machine, using a free channel, wireless ssid randomly disappearing, resolved by unplugging router. Happens on average 1/16 hours. Static IP address will not work for me, as I need to be able to pick up the laptop and go to multiple networks w/out having to change ip settings every time. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!