Old February 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Graphite is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Time Blocks?

I have used DD-WRT on my WNDR3700 which has much more flexibility in the user interface you can block by MAC address at certain times which looks perfect for the iPods and iPhones roaming our house! LOL

Also there is 'safe-eyes mobile' which can be installed in iPhones and iPods which gives a much greater amount of control over web access, facebook etc http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/safe-...298505665?mt=8

Some others here... http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/0...with-ios-apps/
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

NatRay is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Time Blocks?

When DD-WRT matures for this router, I may give it a go . . .
Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (4), WNDR3400v2 (2), WPN824v2 (2), R7000, RT-N66R *AP(s) via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** Qosmio-X505 **
DD-WRT v24-SP2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007
Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .
‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Graphite is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Time Blocks?

Hopefully they will update on the 7.98 Firmware
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM

falsamals is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Time Blocks?

Hello Bill776,

How did you block specific site categories (social networking: facebook; streaming: youtube, etc.) on schedule?
Good luck with managing your daughter's internet acces

Thanks for your answer
falsamals@gmail.com

Miguel
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM

2x6L6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Time Blocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatRay View Post
Blocking Services

Via DHCP, reserve an IP Address for each device

Under Content Filtering/Block Services
Select ‘Per Schedule’

Add a ‘User Defined’ Service Type for each device (using the name assigned when adding DHCP reservations)

Protocol --> TCP
Starting Port --> 1
Ending Port --> 65534
Service Type/User Defined (Device Name)

Filter Service For:
Only This IP Address (The DHCP Reservation)

Select ‘Accept’

Under Content Filtering/Schedule
Days to Block: Every Day

Time of day to Block: (use 24 hour clock)

Start Blocking 23 Hour (11:00 PM)
End Blocking 5 Hour (05:00 AM)

Select ‘Apply’

This won't build any bridges between you and your daughter . . .
Reviving an old thread here...
Mr. Nat Ray, this was really helpful to me - thanks! However, when I first read/implemented, I missed the part about reserving IP address, and so quickly found that since my kids' devices got different IP addressses at different times, sometimes I was blocking the wrong devices - for example MY computer.

After reading more carefully your instructions, I reserved IP addresses for the five devices I want to block (iPods, iPads, iPhones, PCs). This seems to work well for blocking the devices, however, it also seems to kick other devices off the LAN at the assigned block time until I reboot the router or test its settings. And even then, the connection un-blocked devices have seems sketchy and inconsistent. These devices all work great the rest of the time - it's only during the block period.

Does that have something to do with the particular IP addresses I assigned the blocked devices?
Are there IP addresses that are 'better' to assign than others?
Do I need to also assign IP addresses for the un-blocked devices?
Any other advice?

Blocking my kids' devices at night has been a very good thing overall, it just needs some fine-tuning. And BTW, this seems to be a much better solution than LPC. Lastly, I know I am in the 3700 forum, but I have a WNDR 3300.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ExNihilo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6L6 View Post
Reviving an old thread here...

Does that have something to do with the particular IP addresses I assigned the blocked devices?
Are there IP addresses that are 'better' to assign than others?
Do I need to also assign IP addresses for the un-blocked devices?
Any other advice?

Blocking my kids' devices at night has been a very good thing overall, it just needs some fine-tuning. And BTW, this seems to be a much better solution than LPC. Lastly, I know I am in the 3700 forum, but I have a WNDR 3300.

Thanks in advance.
There are many ways you can assign IP addresses to aid in your blocking. There are no addresses better than others. You can assign IP addresses to all network devices, but it is not necessary. First and foremost you want to group the devices you desire to block.

If you have "a lot" of network devices you want to restrict, and want to accommodate visitors/friends who stay overnight (you don't have easy access to their MAC addresses), it may be easier to assign IP addresses only to the devices you don't want to block.

For example, let's say you network IP is 192.168.3.1. Without an assigned IP, the first device to connect will be assigned IP 192.168.3.2, and so on (192.168.3.3, 192.168.3.4 ...) sequentially (assuming you haven't changed your starting address).

If you just have a few network devices that require 24/7 access, assign them IPs beginning with 192.168.3.50 for example. Then set your blocking rule to time restrict the range of addresses from 192.168.3.2 to 192.168.3.49.

As your children, and their friends connect to the network , the first 48 devices will fall into the time restricted grouping. 2¢.
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:03 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

DHCP for range block really will not do much.

you want to assign by the mac address (address reservation under LAN setup) and assign the IP within the DHCP. This way PC will always get the same IP.

In Proafe Routers you have extra IP/Mac binding that set do drop the traffic if someone still changes the PC to static IP on pc side. In home end routers, not sure how much reliable with address reservation when someone changes to static IP but it is better than blocking DHCP range and let workstation on DHCP client

You can use free utility like IP scanner and find the mac address and it is very simple to do as well
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM

2x6L6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
There are many ways you can assign IP addresses to aid in your blocking. There are no addresses better than others. You can assign IP addresses to all network devices, but it is not necessary. First and foremost you want to group the devices you desire to block.

If you have "a lot" of network devices you want to restrict, and want to accommodate visitors/friends who stay overnight (you don't have easy access to their MAC addresses), it may be easier to assign IP addresses only to the devices you don't want to block.

For example, let's say you network IP is 192.168.3.1. Without an assigned IP, the first device to connect will be assigned IP 192.168.3.2, and so on (192.168.3.3, 192.168.3.4 ...) sequentially (assuming you haven't changed your starting address).

If you just have a few network devices that require 24/7 access, assign them IPs beginning with 192.168.3.50 for example. Then set your blocking rule to time restrict the range of addresses from 192.168.3.2 to 192.168.3.49.

As your children, and their friends connect to the network , the first 48 devices will fall into the time restricted grouping. 2¢.
This is great advice and thank you both for your help. The Block Services feature has been really squirrelly. It seems to change settings all by itself, unpredictably. I set up the 5 devices I want to block, with specific IP addresses in the LAN Setup tab. Then used those devices as the service name to block. In a few days, 3 of the five devices were all change to the same device name (iPhone in this example). Very odd. So I correct it all and in a few days something else has changed. My kids don't mess with it, so it isn't them.

To simplify, I recently went back in and assigned the 5 devices sequential IP addresses in a higher range (30 - 34) and am now blocking the range 30 - 40. Thus far things seem more stable so maybe I've solved it, but will need a few more days to know for sure.

Again, any further advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!