Old October 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

mediatrek is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR4700 Firmware Update v1.0.0.34

As I type this up, this update is not yet on the Netgear FTP server the router checks for updates when trying to check for firmware updates via the web interface. At this time, this update can only be downloaded from the Netgear Support Download Center here:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNDR4700

As always, it is HIGHLY recommended that all firmware updates be performed while hard wired to the router and not over a wireless connection. In addition, Netgear now recommends doing a factory default restore after a firmware upgrade. After having performed firmware upgrade, enter "Backup Settings" in the web GUI and click "Erase" button of "Revert to factory default settings". You will have to then configure your router settings again.

New Features & Enhancements:
  • Fixed the Windows 8 IE10 can't display Web GUI issue.
  • Windows 8 Support.

Known Issue(s):
  • When customer enables the ReadySHARE Cloud function in very first time by Web GUI, it will cause HDD LED become red color. This is LED indication issue, actually the HDD is still working fine without any issue. We will fix this issue in a future firmware release.
  • With regards to Apple's Time Machine backup function, WNDR4700 only supports EXT4, EXT3 , EXT2, HFS+ in Journal, HFS+ in non-journal file system. WNDR4700 does not support NTFS, FAT16, FAT32 file format for Apple Time machine backup at the moment.
  • The formatting tool on the WNDR4700 can only format a hard drive up to 2 TB size. For example, if you have a 3TB hard drive and use the wizard in the WNDR4700 to format it, the total usable capacity will be reduced to 2 TB size.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Aurora420 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR4700 Firmware Update v1.0.0.34

Thanks for the update!
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:06 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

NYCPaull is on a distinguished road

Nice to hear that the ONLY problem I've had with the unit (internal drive red light stays on) is a fix in the update. And thanks for the advice on properly updating. I am loving this unit now that I can actually access, view and even play media to my Galaxy S3 using ES File Explorer File Manager which lets me access and log into my Genie Cloud account via the FTP feature. Soooo cool.
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

waltzonice is on a distinguished road

I just purchased this router and haven't plugged it in yet. What's the best way to update the firmware prior to getting everything set up? Any instructions?
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Download the firmware to a PC, connect the PC to the router via Ethernet cable, connect only that PC to the router, make sure the PC is reliably communicating with the router disconnect the router WAN port (so no Internet), disable wireless connections, use Internet Explorer, upload the firmware to the router as per the accompanying instructions.

My name is Andy.