Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Multimedia Entertainment Devices > NeoTV-350 (NTV350) Forum

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

begoss is on a distinguished road
Default Help/Question: My NTV-300 now has DLNA support after recent firmware update???

Hoping someone here can help me, I couldn't find any threads for the NTV-300. *I have an NTV-300 not a 350.

I recently received a firmware update that gave me a new "My Media" channel "tile" that includes a DLNA streaming feature - and it works great - that is not my problem.

My problem is - my understanding was that the NTV-300 didn't "support" DLNA and I'm thinking maybe the update was received in error - because with the new "My Media" channel I also got a new option to read from the USB port - which the NTV-300 doesn't have!!!

So, my question: Now there is a NEW update pending and I haven't applied it because I am afraid \I will lose the DLNA support. I'm afraid that I received that firmware in error and this new update will remove it.

Can anyone help me here? Does anyone know if this December update was supposed to add DLNA support for the NTV-300? Is there any way to find out what is contained in this most recent update before I apply it?

I am very suspicious that this update is coming so soon after the last one... it just "feels" like a patch... and like I said, I REALLY don't want to lose the new DLNA ability.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

chris109 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help/Question: My NTV-300 now has DLNA support after recent firmware update???

Just hooked my 300 up. Manual is a joke. Found 'My Media' after a lot of looking. At first the device did not recognize files on my usb stick. Now it does. However, the thing will not find anything on my network. I have movies and stuff on two external hard drives that the EVA2000 found with no problem. (2000 unit died after 3 years. I call that a 'WIN'). The 300 tells me there is no DLNA. Got it with a gift card from Best Buy. I think it will be going back in the am.
Just venting. Good luck with yours.

ps. I can not believe that there is no separate thread for the 300 as you have stated.
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Help/Question: My NTV-300 now has DLNA support after recent firmware update???

Chris:

Thanks, which model do you have? Mine is a plain "NTV300" - there is no USB port on my device (even though I now have the on-screen option to read from one), which is why I wonder if I received this firmware update in error - but the DLNA streaming under the "My Media" channel works flawlessly.

I agree that the NTV300 is largely a piece of junk, I picked it up on sale for like $35 just to use as a second Netflix box, but this new update with the DLNA has made it a whole new device!

I haven't found a video format yet that it won't stream. I'm just using Windows Media Player for DLNA sharing on my Win7 laptop for right now (works fine), and I installed a free DLNA server app on my Nexus 7 Android tablet which works great as well.

I was bummed that the Nexus 7 didn't support MHL HDMI adapters like my Galaxy Nexus - but this DLNA streaming setup is better than plugging in adapters.

That's another reason I'm trying to find out if I'm going to lose these new features with subsequent firmware updates, because all the info I can dig-up so far suggests these features are not intended for my device...

Anyone else?
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

chris109 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, it is the NTV300SL that I have.

As for files, a couple of .avi files worked and a couple did not. Some AVI files with DiVX/XVID are not playable so that was an answer.

Wanted really to use this for my projector, but since there is no coaxial or optical out, there is no sense for me to keep this.

Good luck with yours.
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:45 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Faluzure is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that the NTV300 does support DLNA, although there are some exceptions.

I am a new owner of the NTV300. I originally asked for a Roku for Christmas because of Amazon Prime & Netflix, both which I subscribe to. However I was given the NTV300 instead.

Although it only does support Netflix, I noticed that out of the box (after the update to .68), that one of the tiles was for DLNA. Since I already run a DLNA server for my Samsung TV, this NTV300 was able to pick it up and play all movies on my server. HOWEVER, there is a big exception. It plays ALL files visually but for audio, it cannot play the sound stream for files that have DTS as the audio source. All other audio codecs work OK>

So keep that in mind.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Faluzure:

Yes... my 300 got the DLNA support with the 1.0.68 update too (I use the DLNA option under the new "My Media" tile - works better for me for some reason).

My concern is: I now have another update pending, and being that the 300 is listed by Netgear as not supporting DLNA (probably as a reason to get you to buy one of their more expensive boxes) - will this newest firmware remove the DLNA feature?

I am thinking maybe the 300's got DLNA "by accident" and the new firmware will "patch it out"... these two firmware updates came VERY close together.

I haven't run it yet due to this concern... anyone update their 300 to a firmware newer than 1.0.68? Do you still have the "My Media" and "DLNA" tiles?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Faluzure is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by begoss View Post
Faluzure:

Yes... my 300 got the DLNA support with the 1.0.68 update too (I use the DLNA option under the new "My Media" tile - works better for me for some reason).

My concern is: I now have another update pending, and being that the 300 is listed by Netgear as not supporting DLNA (probably as a reason to get you to buy one of their more expensive boxes) - will this newest firmware remove the DLNA feature?

I am thinking maybe the 300's got DLNA "by accident" and the new firmware will "patch it out"... these two firmware updates came VERY close together.

I haven't run it yet due to this concern... anyone update their 300 to a firmware newer than 1.0.68? Do you still have the "My Media" and "DLNA" tiles?
Ah I see. i went ahead and upgraded when I saw and I do have the DLNA & My Media Tiles available. However I have not tested it. Let me go home this evening and try it out.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I couldn't take the suspense any longer... I took a peak at the update package and it looked okay, so I went ahead and ran the newest firmware update.

So now my NTV300 is on firmware 1.0.76 and still has the DLNA tile, the "My Media" tile with the DLNA option still working great (and still with the USB option that is weird because the NTV300 doesn't have a USB port).

So I guess since they persisted through two consecutive firmware updates Netgear must have intended to add these options to the 300 - but, still their website shows the 300 as not supporting these features, so I don't know...

*Also, I never mentioned it because I don't really use it - but both of these updates ad WiDi (Intel Wireless Display) support as well. I haven't tested it, but both firmware versions do give you a WiDi tile.
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Jim1962 is on a distinguished road

I updated my ntv300 last night, the firmware version I got was 1.0.78NA there is not a my media tab. Is there any way to rollback to the old firmware, or can someone tell me how to get the 1.0.68 or 76. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old January 21st, 2013, 03:54 PM

nvisco is on a distinguished road

Just got off with chat support... apparently the inclusion of the DLNA My Media tile was a "mistake" released in one firmware update and then removed subsequently. Kind of sucks - it worked fine and made the box a home run, but now that it's gone they say only the 300SL has the feature.