Old March 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Skater_Ricky is on a distinguished road
Default Push2TV PTV3000 won't install Firmware from 1.0.13

My Netgear PTV3000 also will not install the firmware update to 2.2.12 which is the lastest firmware as of 03/24/2013 and is stuck on Firmware Update 1.0.13

I called up Netgear this is how my call went when calling Netgear for Support.

Called Netgear Home Support Phone Number: 888-638-4327

1st Agent said I was in the wrong department then cold transferred me (Not sure what department I got to even after selecting Home Support products.)

2nd Agent said I was in the wrong department then provided case # and this phone number#: 1-888-253-1294 (Not sure where that number goes donít try it!) cold transferred me.

3rd Agent said I was in the wrong department after the second agent had cold transferred me.

Had to ask the 3rd Agent to Warm Transfer into the Netgear Home Support Department and provided me phone number# and case#. Netgear Home Support Phone Number: 888-638-4327

4th Agent: Joe is now assisting the firmware update issue.

================================================== ========
The Following Steps Below is what the Agent had me do (or explained to agent how to do he wasnít the brightest agent.)
Quote:
Device is ON and currently in Mircast Mode

Agent asked to reset the device by pressing the reset PIN for 5 seconds. found on back of device by using a small object like a tiny tiny screwdriver or needle
Device Reboots and boots back to Mircast Mode after completely booting up.
Agent asks to boot into Firmware Mode by pressing the button on the side of the device for 5 seconds. Confirm to agent what firmware version the device is on found in bottom right corner of the screen which is 1.0.13)

Agent asked me to perform the firmware update V2.2.12

After perform the firmware update the agent asked to perform a reset on the device by pressing the PIN on the back of the device for 10 seconds

Checked firmware page again and still says Version 1.0.13
Agent is asking higher level tech what to do next (Agent put me on hold with no hold music.(most likely muted me.))

Agent confirms will need to return the item back to the store for a exchange or send the device in for repair.

Conclusion if Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 does not update firmware after performing firmware update the device is bad and needs to be replaced or repaired is what the agent has mention to me.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Dogbert is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Push2TV PTV3000 won't install Firmware from 1.0.13

When you performed the factory reset, did the device reboot itself at the end, or did you perform the reset? (It should have performed the reset itself, and if it didn't then that's why it still had the original firmware when you reset it.) The manual factory reset after the firmware has been updated is just to make sure that everything from the previous firmware has been cleared from memory.

Also I did run across a couple of times where my manual update from the original firmware took a very long time (45 minutes). In those cases since I saw that it hadn't rebooted yet, I just left the unit sitting there for about an hour and came back to find it had finished the upgrade. (Possibly wireless noise was causing it to be so slow, not sure.)
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:48 PM

BMW is on a distinguished road

Skater ricky or anyone else who has this same issue, like we have/did have,

please, try using another browser, for me chrome, gave me the same unwanted results after multiple attempts to update fw as did OP, however after reading elsewhere on newegg reviews iirc, someone said they were having problems updating with IE10 browser, but was successful using chrome.

My issue was the opposite where chrome would not but IE10 worked, when I used IE10 browser WITH COMPATIBILITY MODE CHECKED at the top of the page located in the address bar area.

FW update to 2.2.12 went through/took the first attempt using IE10 browser, plus as others have said perform a hard reset after the update, to clear the old out.

hope you still have the unit and have not taken it back to the store for a return, as it is working nicely after the update is performed.

on my widi book and gn2

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater_Ricky View Post
My Netgear PTV3000 also will not install the firmware update to 2.2.12 which is the lastest firmware as of 03/24/2013 and is stuck on Firmware Update 1.0.13

I called up Netgear this is how my call went when calling Netgear for Support.

Called Netgear Home Support Phone Number: 888-638-4327

1st Agent said I was in the wrong department then cold transferred me (Not sure what department I got to even after selecting Home Support products.)

2nd Agent said I was in the wrong department then provided case # and this phone number#: 1-888-253-1294 (Not sure where that number goes donít try it!) cold transferred me.

3rd Agent said I was in the wrong department after the second agent had cold transferred me.

Had to ask the 3rd Agent to Warm Transfer into the Netgear Home Support Department and provided me phone number# and case#. Netgear Home Support Phone Number: 888-638-4327

4th Agent: Joe is now assisting the firmware update issue.

The Following Steps Below is what the Agent had me do (or explained to agent how to do he wasnít the brightest agent.)
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM

AnjunaSpeek03 is on a distinguished road

Apparently I have figured out that those wonderful tech support guys FORGOT to tell you that once you have the file downloaded, you're supposed to UNZIP IT!! And once you do that you can install the ".bin" file (once you select "all file types" in that box above the open button. I knew something was different because it told me that it was a SUCCESS!!!

Give this a shot and you won't be disappointed! It worked for me, in a span of 15 minutes I was able to install 2 different firmware updates and both of them had actually installed!

I hope this helps!
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:56 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

monicadelaine1 is on a distinguished road

I too am having problems updating the firmware. First, when I unzip the file, I get a file with an sbin extension. Second, when I select the file and select upload, I get the message preparing the file for upload and a series of periods. After about 30 seconds, the periods disappear and the message remains. After 30 seconds, it appears the web server on the push2tv crashes because I get a page not found message and the Push2tv network disappears. I can only get anything from the box if I restart it by removing power.

Has anyone had problems like this?
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

monicadelaine1 is on a distinguished road

Update:

I could not get the Windows 8 computer with either Chrome or IE to work. However, I used Mozilla on my Mac and that finally worked.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM

bitkahuna is on a distinguished road

worst... netgear... product... ever.

as this thread shows, updating just the stupid firmware is a nightmare.

why does the device ACCEPT a zip file (you know, the download from netgear's website), that is, if you can figure out a browser that works with it, but getting past that, it shows progress, SHOW COMPLETION and SUCCESS, shows reboot and the %^%#@! firmware hasn't changed?

thank you AnjunaSpeek03 for saying to upload the sbin file INSIDE the zip. after that, i finally got the firmware upgraded.

before the firmware upgrade, it would occasionally show up on a pc to connect to, but would never work, even with latest intel software that took forever to download and install (not netgear's fault).

i just found out i can connect to this POS with my note 2 phone using the allshare feature, but it seems to crap out after about a minute. everything from hdcp error to wireless error, to just closing the connection for no apparent reason.

thankfully, this product isn't mine, i was trying to get it working for a client. i couldn't charge them for the ton of time spent NOT getting it to work, so i brought it home and eventually got it working sort of after getting the firmware upgraded.

i only have the phone to test at office which as said isn't working reliably, so not real thrilled to take it to client where it might connect but not stay working...

oh joy.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:05 PM

bitkahuna is on a distinguished road

worst... netgear... product... ever.

as this thread shows, updating just the firmware is a nightmare.

why does the device ACCEPT a zip file (you know, the download from netgear's website), that is, if you can figure out a browser that works with it, but getting past that, it shows progress, SHOW COMPLETION and SUCCESS, shows reboot and the %^%#@! firmware hasn't changed?

thank you AnjunaSpeek03 for saying to upload the sbin file INSIDE the zip. after that, i finally got the firmware upgraded.

before the firmware upgrade, it would occasionally show up on a pc to connect to, but would never work, even with latest intel software that took forever to download and install (not netgear's fault).

i just found out i can connect to this POS with my note 2 phone using the allshare feature, but it seems to crap out after about a minute. everything from hdcp error to wireless error, to just closing the connection for no apparent reason.

thankfully, this product isn't mine, i was trying to get it working for a client. i couldn't charge them for the ton of time spent NOT getting it to work, so i brought it home and eventually got it working sort of after getting the firmware upgraded.

i only have the phone to test at office which as said isn't working reliably, so not real thrilled to take it to client where it might connect but not stay working...

oh joy.