Old June 18th, 2013, 01:42 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

maryannns is on a distinguished road
Default Connecting my wireless printer

I just bought a new Netgear n600 WNDR3700v4 wireless router. I set up our two laptops fairly quickly and all is well there.

I have an HP wireless printer Officejet 4620.

I had another router before which stopped working. I had the printer set up with it, but cannot figure out how to set it up now.

Here are my problems:

1. I cannot find the disc that came with the Officejet. I went online and my driver is working and up to date, but I can't figure out how to add the Officejet by following their instructions.

2. I tried using the Netgear Genie. It says to hard connect the printer to my computer which I have done and checked several times. The printer is not connecting and the Genie doesn't let me get past this.

3. I registerd online with Netgear and tried to get help there but I cannot log in. the password they emailed me did not work and neither did the second password set up.

So I have been going round and round all day.

You can probably tell that I have used computers for years, but am not into some of the real techie stuff so I'll need help in plain language. Help please, if you can!
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:20 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Connecting my wireless printer

wireless printer should be setup with standard tcp/ip ports

google it

also HP site will have sometime full CD or just driver. You do not use Genie to setup
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryannns View Post
I had the printer set up with it, but cannot figure out how to set it up now...

...I tried using the Netgear Genie...
Netgear Genie has nothing to do with getting your printer connected. IMHO, this is not a router problem either. Nevertheless, normally, if you had the CD, it would "lead" you through the process of setting up and connecting to your network. The CD just makes the process easier without having to know the technical details. Since the CD is lost though, it is still possible to connect your printer. You just have to refer to the printer's User Guide to find out how. If you don't have the User Guide, click on this link to download it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...roduct=5191646

Read the User Guide and learn how to use your printer (including how to connect it to your network). FYI, I glimpsed on page 13 that there is a wireless button on the printer that you must press to access the Network Menu. Somewhere in that menu, you should be able to scan for your new network and connect to it. When it prompts you for the network's passphrase, enter it on the printer's control panel and it should connect to your network.
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:59 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Are you aware tha tHP has a tech support service to assist you in configuring your HP printer?
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

Go the the HP web site and download the Full Featured software and drivers for your printer.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks everyone for their help. I agree it is likely my printer (and lack of CD) that is the problem. Joe, I will look into what you said.
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:11 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Problem solved. HP's site told me how to reconfigure the printer. I had to pretend it had previously been hard connected and that I needed to convert to wireless.

Thanks for the help.
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:36 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryannns View Post
I had to pretend it had previously been hard connected and that I needed to convert to wireless.
Thanks for the feedback. Most times, connecting the printer wired first (e.g. with a USB cable), then setting it up wirelessly after makes it easy. I'm glad your problem is solved now though.
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:10 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Actually - most HP network ready printers are setup by first loading the software and running it - it will ask how the printer is connected, USB or wired/wireless network, if you need to make a change, simply "re-run" the setup and change your selection.

Connecting via USB first is a good idea if you're using a print server, but as long as the printer has a network port - ask the manufacturer and follow their instructions.