Old June 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM
NETGEAR User

required_alias is on a distinguished road
Default Can my router block IPs

Netgear WGR614 v6. / Win XP SR2
Have a Tivo Series 2 DVR and a Netgear SC101.
SC101 can not be 'seen' by Explorer (although at one time it did work). Tivo can not be 'seen' by Tivo sw.
Reps for both devices initially blamed McAfee for the failure although both can be pinged from my PC and IPs for both appear in McAfee.
Lately, McAfee and Tivo have started questioning the Netgear router as the cause. I have been to the router page abd read the instructions but am still uncertain how to troubleshoot.
How can I confirm/refute the router is blocking these two devices so the sw can not find them?
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can my router block IPs

Are you connected wireless or wired?

The WGR614 is a broadbound router with an integrated 802.11g wireless access point and four port ethernet switch - there is NO ip filtering whatsoever between the four ethernet ports.

You cannot really confirm/refute the router blocking the devices other than be replacing it with some other "concentrator" - another router, a or a switch.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

fordem is right..

router can not block IP but router can fail to detect the unit. SC101 is driver base and sometime they behave funny. and Tivo is hardware unit and if tivo works then it's not blocking.

Firewall/third party app can block on that PC to be access with McAfee security center firewall setting.

Sounds like your PC is doing something.

if attach device is not showing their then I would hard reset and try all over

visit my site for "router reset" and try step 1,3,4

Last edited by jmizoguchi; June 27th, 2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:12 AM
NETGEAR User

Thanks. Tried the reset but still Explorer does not 'see' the SC101.

>>router can not block IP but router can fail to detect the unit.
Would it be coorect to say 'if McAfee can 'see' the device, the router is not blocking it?

>>Tivo is hardware unit and if tivo works then it's not blocking.
I don't understand this.

Last edited by jmizoguchi; June 27th, 2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:56 AM

if SC101 is not working are could been something is in unit itself. SC101 will attach to your pc if driver don't find the SC101. This may not work because Router did not detect the unit 'Not blocking".

Router will not "Block". More likely DHCP sever is not communicating. If you can ping and you have your SC101 detected and access the storage devcice and when you view "attach device" in your router and do not see devices including your PC, SC101, Tivo is not listed but can't ping then I would hard reset should have helped.

Tivo unit as hadware like SC101 should been detected by the router. Tivo software may not seen the Tivo because there is not IP released to your Tivo. Tivo should not work if there is no IP if Tivo needs access internet for any data need to communicate. Therefore, Tivo Software will not find as there is no IP to Tivo.

McAfee Security Center has firewall configuration that can "Block" usage of LAN network. Symantec Internet Security also behave same way if firewall is not configure.

I would say router has issue but I would not say "Block IP" that is not a correct terminology. I think It is not " detected by router"

I would consider try different router to test the condition.
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM
NETGEAR User

Thanks for the help.
Tivo is now 'seen' by the PC although I do not know of anything I did that could have caused this.
Went to the router's 'Attached Devices.' 3 listed - PC, Tivo, WGX102. (The IPs for these devices change every day).
The SC101 is not listed in 'Attached Devices' although it is listed in McAfee.
As you may know, the SC101 has 2 IPs - one for the device (root IP) and one for the drive itself. I can ping both IPs successfully.
As a reminder, my PC (Explorer) can 'see' the SC101 every time I uninstall/reinstall the latest driver. But it disappears every time I reboot.
Should the SC101 IPs show up in 'Attached Devices?' If so, how do I get the router to 'see' it?
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Should the SC101 IPs show up in 'Attached Devices?' If so, how do I get the router to 'see' it?
They should be under attach devices. I seen the SC101 driver loose the connection the storage and usually rebooting works or sometime you have to re-install the driver.

issue with SC101 but might be due a drive issue or disable McAfee firewall.