Old October 5th, 2013, 08:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pinkfloyd is on a distinguished road
Default NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band Wireless-AC Router

Any one try this bad boy out??? I have been seeing some good reviews about? Gonna go to Bestbuy and get one and try it out.
Old October 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Lexist2112 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NETGEAR - Nighthawk Dual-Band Wireless-AC Router

Yep that would be me. Bought this unit on 9/26 and I was surprised that Netgear had released this unit I had no idea!!! I went to Frys after work on 9/26 looking for linksys ea6900, and they didn't have it. Saw this unit just glancing over the shelves quick search online at that time yielded little info. Took the plunge and config it. 1 word this beast is fast over the wireless, as advertised strong amps over 2.4 and 5ghz. I now receive full wireless signal in the far reaches of the house. I can connect my XBOX to the 5ghz channel and both the 2.4 & 5ghz are smokin fast, with solid connection. The day after I bought it there was a FW update downloaded thru the router as Netgear had not posted this unit on their website at the time ( it is as of last Tues). FW installed and my config was saved didn't have to clear the NVRAM 30/30/30 reset.

Thus far I am impressed I upgraded the downstairs machine to the Asus AC68 card with 3 external antennas mounted on a magnetic base. It has been great.

3rd party FW is out there!!!!!! The only 1 to really consider is the Asus Model RT-AC68U. There is a community that is turning out incredible 3rd party FW for Asus routers, making it even more fine tunable.

I have not owned Netgear products over 15 years. It appears Netgear, Linksys and Asus are using the Broadcom chipset and very similar hardware. Won't be surprised if FW may be swappable between Netgear and Asus...time will tell.
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

RogerSC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexist2112 View Post
I have not owned Netgear products over 15 years. It appears Netgear, Linksys and Asus are using the Broadcom chipset and very similar hardware. Won't be surprised if FW may be swappable between Netgear and Asus...time will tell.
I'd be really really really surprised...no chance at all, unless they have exactly the same hardware, not just the same major chip sets. And quality firmware really does make a difference, so I'd be looking at past firmware quality, and especially at quality and length of time that the firmware has been supported by the company making the routers you're looking at (new features, bug fixes, etc.). If the firmware you're considering is third-party, then look at what's available there and the track records of the people supporting it.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:51 AM
NETGEAR User

whsbuss is on a distinguished road

Well after the R6300 disaster with Netgear's high ping times, I cannot trust them to properly support this model either. Look what they did to their ReadyNAS line....... Netgear is too quick to drop support on fairly new hardware trying to beat competitors to market with the latest and greatest.

Last edited by Mars Mug; October 6th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:48 AM
NETGEAR Prophet

searay is on a distinguished road

Does any of 3rd party FW allow a secure port for E-mail? If so netgear should hire them.
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FW installed and my config was saved didn't have to clear the NVRAM 30/30/30 reset.
[...]
I have not owned Netgear products over 15 years.
I have my doubts that the R7000 is unique, where resetting the router is no longer necessary after a firmware change. This forum is filled with posts from people who didn't perform a reset after changing their router's firmware and only after pulling the hair out of their head, found that they could fix their issue by resetting. By resetting I'm not talking about the 30/30/30 procedure, instead following a few simple steps, including simply pushing in the reset button on the router.

Quote:
It appears Netgear, Linksys and Asus are using the Broadcom chipset and very similar hardware. Won't be surprised if FW may be swappable between Netgear and Asus...time will tell.
That's never going to happen, even if there wasn't a lawsuit.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old October 6th, 2013, 12:32 PM
NETGEAR User

whsbuss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devor View Post
By resetting I'm not talking about the 30/30/30 procedure, instead following a few simple steps, including simply pushing in the reset button on the router.
Why not post that simple procedure?

Last edited by Mars Mug; October 6th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

I post a link to the procedure in every post I make. See signature, step four, for one proper way to change firmware. While written for the WNDR3700, with a little pre-planning, it should work on any Netgear router. And, you don't even need a stopwatch to perform the procedure.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Closed Thread