Old November 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Crontons is on a distinguished road
Default IPv6 problems

So I upgraded from an R6300 to R7000 and cannot get IPv6 to work. With the R6300 it worked fine. I have Comcast, did the auto-detect in the router, it gets an address and appears to work fine. I go to test-ipv6.com and get 0/10. All IPv6 tests timeout and fail. I have rebooted the router, cable modem, disabled, re-enabled ipv6 and no go.

Disconnect the R7000, and install the R6300, enable IPv6 (in the exact same manner), and it works perfectly, and get a 10/10 on test-ipv6.com.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem with their R7000?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

RogerSC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IPv6 problems

Not a lot of ideas. It works for me here, and I'm also on Comcast. However, I used "DHCP" both places in the configuration screen for IPv6. "Auto" didn't work for me in either place in that screen.

You may find, though, that once you get it working, that the router disconnects from the internet when it comes back up after rebooting or power-cycling. Turns out, for me, that if I pull the WAN cable off the back of the router for at least 10-15 seconds at that point, when I plug it back in the internet connection gets restored. Reported this to Netgear about 3 weeks ago, and they just told me (essentially) that they haven't tried to replicate it yet *sigh*.

Not holding my breath waiting for them to fix this.
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

When I set to auto-detect, it detects and sets itself to DHCP at the top and Auto-Config at the bottom (though I have tried DHCP here too), and it shows a WAN and LAN address as well. But then test-ipv6.com tests all fail. Strange thing is, if I connect my R6300 router, configure it exactly the same (auto-detect), sets itself as DHCP, auto-config at bottom, shows a WAN and LAN address, then all test-ipv6.com tests pass 10/10.

The strange thing is they both are configured exactly the same, and they both show an address for both WAN and LAN. But with the R7000 all tests fail, and the R6300 (ver. 1), works perfectly.

I am using the latest firmware as well (didn't work with the previous firmware's either though).
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ROCKnTIME is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem and this worked for me. I did a 30-30-30 reset then reflashed the stock v1.0.1.22 firmware, then did another 30-30-30 reset, enabled IPv6 set to auto-detect and the problem was resolved.. Hope it helps you..
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

RogerSC is on a distinguished road

Looks like there's a difference between Comcast IPv6 hardware and/or subtleties of their implementations in different areas of the country. Also, one's modem may play into this. IPv6 has worked for me with this router using the last two Netgear firmware versions (the only ones I've tried *smile*), but only using the configuration that I mentioned. I tried various permutations, tried using "Auto" first, no luck with any combination containing "Auto" here.

Interesting....
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I've got a Motorola SB6141 that does support IPv6, and when using the R7000 router to auto-detect, it detects it as DHCP and even appears to get a WAN and LAN IPv6 address. I've disabled and manually set it to DHCP with the same results. No matter what I do, with the R7000, it fails all ipv6 tests. But again, I can unplug the R7000, cycle the cable model, plug my old R6300 set it the same way and it gets an IPv6 address and passes all IPv6 tests.

I will try doing a hard reset, move back to the original firmware as previously suggested, then see if it will connect (and then upgrade the firmware again). If this doesn't work, I can only assume maybe I've gotten a bad router, and back to the store this will be heading.

Last edited by Mars Mug; November 17th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ROCKnTIME is on a distinguished road

I also have a Motorola 6141 modem and forgot to mention something I just remembered. I logged in to the modem at some point while troubleshooting and reset the modem back to defaults and rebooted it. Shortly after my issue with IPv6 was resolved. That may or may not have been the solution to the problem or the combination of both 30-30-30, re-flash firmware 30-30-30 reset and then modem reset to defaults, but IPv6 did work with the R7000 shortly after.
Old November 18th, 2013, 08:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

So I did a 30-30-30 reset then reflashed the stock v1.0.1.22 firmware, then did another 30-30-30 reset, while also resetting the Motorola SB6141 to defaults, still all IPv6 tests failed (even though the router reports it getting an IPv6 address and displays it. I hard reset it multiple times (as well as the cable modem), still no go. Re-upgraded firmware, more hard resets, more cable modem resets, still nothing.

So, I gave up and took the R7000 back and exchanged it, plugged the new one in, and I'm happy to report the new one worked flawlessly the first time it was enabled. Passes all IPv6 tests I throw at it. Upgraded to the latest firmware and its still working perfectly. So after a store exchange, its finally resolved!
Old November 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

theoak is on a distinguished road

This is going to be a dumb question probably ... but the 30-30-30 reset ...

I get you are holding the reset button the whole time, power cable in, then power cable out, then power cable back in.

My question is ... is the power button for the router on or off?

And then a follow up question ... via telnet ... is the "erase nvram" the same thing as the 30-30-30?
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoak View Post

My question is ... is the power button for the router on or off?

And then a follow up question ... via telnet ... is the "erase nvram" the same thing as the 30-30-30?
The router should be powered on for the 30-30-30 reset.

Yes, the erase nvram should accomplish the same thing. A "hard reset", a "30-30-30 reset", or "erase nvram" should all accomplish the same thing.