Old December 28th, 2006, 05:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

se2murphy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Wireless - "limited or no connectivity"

OK - here's the deal......we've got 4 wireless laptops and 1 desktop with a Netgear wireless adapter. A few months ago, I installed a Netgear router (GTR624) in our home. 3 of the 4 laptops connect with no problems. However, the desktop and Dell laptop get a message of "limited or no connectivity". The signal itself shows as "good" or "very good", but I still cannot get onto the internet. I checked the IP addresses for the 2 that don't connect and it showed 169.254.....(can't remember the rest) and was told this is a "dormant" IP? Meaning the router cannot see it? I have security settings with a passphrase setup, but have not specified computer names themselves. I don't understand why 3 computers work with this, but the other 2 do not. Can someone PLEASE HELP????? I'm at my wits end, and I"m sick and tired of speaking with techs when there is a language barrier and spending hours on the phone.
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Wireless - "limited or no connectivity"

Whoops, sorry.....my Netgear router is WGT624 v3
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

A 169.254.x.x ip address is an automatically assigned ip address - that and the "limited or no connectivity" message point to there being a problem with the network connection - your systems are configured to get an ip address automatically and they are unable to find a DHCP server from which to get one.

The fact that your other three computers are working indicates that they are seeing the DHCP server - usually one of the services handled by the wireless router - so we need to look at the communication channels between the router and the two non working systems.

All you have told us at this point is that you have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router, how about you tell us what sort of wireless cards are in your computers?
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cassandra91 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Wireless - "limited or no connectivity"

Hey, I am pretty much in the same boat here. I need help ASAP.. can someone give me a hand here?.... thanks
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jaymac is on a distinguished road

Had this problem (limited or no connectivity) a couple of months ago and being a non-techie struggled to resolve it after an e-mail to MS produced an acknowledgement that they "shared my pain" but could only suggest that I try one of their premium help phone lines. Right!

So here is the poor man's guide to solving the problem:

1) Got the kid to connect wirelessly to the internet with his Sony PSP, so the wireless was ok.

2) Booted up the PC with a Suse Linux evaluation CD and managed to connect to the internet. This confirmed that the router and the PC network card were ok.

3) Re-booted the PC into windows XP but still no connectivity. This is where I get stuck so I Google 'no connectivity' and eventually find a free utility which claims that a corrupted TCP/IP stack or a malformed LSP are the most common cause of lost connectivity apart from mechanical problems. Don't ask me what this means. I downloaded the file and ran the TCP/IP repair utility. Nothing! Then I ran the Winsock/LSP program and Bingo, problem solved.

No guarantees offered and please read the warning advice on the website at:- http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:35 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Cassandra91 -

As in the case with se2murphy - if you don't tell us what equipment you are using, then we won't be able to help you.
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Turned out my router was working fine. It was something within the laptop itslelf and the desktop. I caved and took it into a PC place and they fixed it. Thanks for the help, though
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cbuck1 is on a distinguished road

I am having exactly the same problem with my Netgear WG602. I have an IBM R51 thinkpad and am using its built-in wireless. The Thinkpad connects fine at home on my Netgear WGT624. But at my office on the 602, though it sees the router and reports a strong signal, I get the "limited or no connectivity" error and IPCONFIG can't renew the IP.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuck1 View Post
I am having exactly the same problem with my Netgear WG602. I have an IBM R51 thinkpad and am using its built-in wireless. The Thinkpad connects fine at home on my Netgear WGT624. But at my office on the 602, though it sees the router and reports a strong signal, I get the "limited or no connectivity" error and IPCONFIG can't renew the IP.
See your network administrator at the office, you probably have the WEP key entered incorrectly.
Old January 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cbuck1 is on a distinguished road

I AM my network administrator. The problem is, my network administrator is an ignoramous. Where do I find my WEP key? I thought I had entered the correct key when I was prompted and entered it without getting an error message.