Old September 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dahig2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Why do I need ethernet cable

I have recently gone 'wireless' however, I seem to have exactly the same amount of wires all the floor as I had when my pc was wired. I thought I would plug the router into the phone line it would send a signal to my pc and I would be online. However, whilst my pc is wireless ready I need to connect it to the router using the yellow cable supplied with the router. The means that the router needs to be next to my pc dragging all the wires in from the hall with it. Exactly what I wanted to avoid. I assume I have done something wrong. Can anybody help?
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM
NETGEAR User

badbob001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why do I need ethernet cable

You don't need the ethernet cable. Your router should either connect directly to the internet modem or directly to the internet line if it has a built-in modem. Then you just setup your PC's wireless configuration to connect to the wireless router. It's unclear if you did the important last step.

You *may* need to initially connect your PC to the router with a cable to setup the router's wireless settings so you know how to configure your PC's wireless, but I think most wireless routers are wirelessly connectible out of the box as long as you follow your router's getting-started guide.

But perhaps I'm missing some important facts since you didn't mention what netgear products you are using or how they are related to powerline networking.
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dahig2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why do I need ethernet cable

Thanks for your reply. I suspect I am on the wrong forum but from those available it seemed the most likely, however, I don't know what powerline is. I have a netgear wireless adsl modem router which I use to connect to the internet. At the moment it is attached to my pc and I cannot connect to it with my laptop unless they are in the same room. That is my first problem. The other is more of an irritation than a problem and that is the fact that my pc is connected with the ethernet cable.

I suspect I am going to have to erase it all and start the wireless installation from scratch. Thanks for your help.