Old November 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tgm1024 is on a distinguished road
Question NAT Filtering: Secured vs. Open

WPN824v1, Firmware rev. V2.0.120_1.0.15

Either this or the last firmware update have dropped in a new configuration option.

Within my Advanced->WAN setup, it offers new radio buttons:

NAT Filtering: o Secured o Open

I understand most of NAT, but what could this be doing? Is it enforcing that data can only be backchanneled to a system who originated the data first? There is no explanation for it in the WPN824 manual (which doesn't list this option at all), and the on-screen description for it is vague.
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NAT Filtering: Secured vs. Open

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network...ss_translation
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

tgm1024 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
I understood most of that already. The question is what is meant by "secured" and "open".

I'm assuming that "open" doesn't mean the wikipedia "basic nat" where an external IP is required for each LAN side system. I was assuming that port translation would occur either way, no?

The reason I'm questioning this new "feature" of the router is that for some reason, and I believe it to be since this was added, others cannot get to my system when I run it as a unreal tournament game server. This used to work fine with port forwarding directly to my static ip. It stopped working, but there seems to be several things going wrong at once that day, requiring me to get a new modem.

So what does secured mean? Port translation? What does open mean? No port translation? Confused.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cobrala is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: NAT Filtering: Secured vs. Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I understood most of that already. The question is what is meant by "secured" and "open"...
The MOD either doesn't know the product to know it's a new feature or didn't read your full post because that was a less than adequate response.

My WGR814 v6 has been hosed with port forwarding to a static IP since the latest firmware I've updated to (v2.0.19_1.0.19NA) and its predecessor.

I also cannot connect to Vista computers via Remote Assistance anymore now. Same story with firmware.

I will change to Open mode (whatever that is) and see if that fixes my RDP port forward. Won't be able to test the Vista situation soon but I wanted you to know you're not alone in this.
Old December 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

cobrala is on a distinguished road

Changing from Secured to Open opened my static port forward.
Changed it back to Secured and still using my static port forward.

I suppose you have already-tried changing its setting just to 'register' the new firmware's feature, in case the flash didn't do so?
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:39 PM

kossboss is on a distinguished road

NAT Filtering

This option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the PCs on LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications not to work. The Open option, on the other hand, provides a much less secured firewall, while it allows almost all Internet applications to work.
Old November 6th, 2012, 04:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

judanini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kossboss View Post
NAT Filtering

This option determines how the router deals with inbound traffic. The Secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the PCs on LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications not to work. The Open option, on the other hand, provides a much less secured firewall, while it allows almost all Internet applications to work.
The above is quoted straight from the User Manual.

I'd also like to know what the difference is between Secured and Open NAT Filtering, and what is a "much less secured firewall" as referred to above? Some specifics would be nice.
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:12 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

This thread was 5 years old. The OP and others involved have most likely moved on. Isn't it better to start your own thread?
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

judanini is on a distinguished road

Yes, only realised that just after I posted. My question is still valid though.

I did manage to find a bit of info by 'Googling' the question, but a reply from someone from Netgear would be great. The User Manual glosses over quite a few topics I'd like further information on.

Cheers.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Joe_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by judanini View Post
...a reply from someone from Netgear would be great...
This is a user-to-user forum only, where people try to share their experiences and help each other. This is not Customer Support and we don't work for Netgear.

You are obviously looking for an official answer from Netgear. You will not find that here. For that you will have to open a case with Netgear.

Please also read the "Sticky Thread" on Thread Hijacking.