Old November 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Kenard2 is on a distinguished road
Default Wgps606

I have 2 computers (desktop, and 1 laptop) and the Canon MP610 printer. I use the WPN824v2 router to connect to the internet. When Im not roaming around the house with my laptop, I turn the wireless functionality of the router off and keep both computers hard wired to the router.

I just bought the WGPS606 print server so that I can use the printer from either PC. I have 2 questions:

1. Do I need to keep the wireless network always on for the print server to work?
2. How would I configure (the cables) between the 2 pcs, the router and the print server?
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Orbital is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Wgps606

Kenard2:

In response to your questions:

1. Do I need to keep the wireless network always on for the print server to work?

Answer: If you plan to use the print servers wireless features, then Yes You will need your wireless network operational every time you want to use the Print Server.

2. How would I configure (the cables) between the 2 pcs, the router and the print server?

Answer: You will need to connect 1 computer directly to the WGPS606 to configure it, after the WGPS606 is configured you can connect your computers to your router, if all is good you should be able to print to the WGPS606 over your routers wireless connection.
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Kenard2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wgps606

Will the other features of the multifunction printer (scanning, copying) work with the print server as well?

Also, how would it be configured if I didnt want it wireless but wanted to be wired. I assume connecting the WGPS606 to one of the open ports on the WPN824v2 router. But not sure after that.
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Orbital is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Wgps606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenard2 View Post
Will the other features of the multifunction printer (scanning, copying) work with the print server as well?

Also, how would it be configured if I didnt want it wireless but wanted to be wired. I assume connecting the WGPS606 to one of the open ports on the WPN824v2 router. But not sure after that.
Hey Kenard2: Usually Multi-Function features to not work through most print servers. the WGPS606 only supports the printing features. If you have a multi-function printer you will need to make sure you are using print only drivers.

If you didn't want to use wireless just enter false information in the wireless configuration page of the WGPS606.

Then you connect the WGPS606 to the WPN824v2 to any spare Ethernet Port Everything should communicate Via TCP/IP.

NETGEAR Also makes a PS121v2 which supports more printers than the WGPS606, I would suggest looking into that print server.

NETGEAR PS121v2 print server supports various AIO (All-in-One), Multifunction and legacy (support GDI or PCL) printers.

Here is the product page for the PS121

Here
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ado is on a distinguished road

Hello Orbital,

Being new too , I'm a little confused.

I too have just purchased the PIXMA MP610 printer and tried to use the WGPS606 wireless router to no avail.

Are you saying that I need to use another printer server to get all the functions to work ?

It seems a little strange that HP printers seems to work ?

Anyhow, if this is true , can you please confirm which wireless router I need to purchase.

Many thanks,

Ado...
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Hello Orbital,

Being new too , I'm a little confused.

I too have just purchased the PIXMA MP610 printer and tried to use the WGPS606 wireless router to no avail.

Are you saying that I need to use another printer server to get all the functions to work ?

It seems a little strange that HP printers seems to work ?

Anyhow, if this is true , can you please confirm which wireless router I need to purchase.

Many thanks,

Ado...
using MFC, AIA are limited to printing ONLY unless you have bought high end equipment that can handle network scan. it is limitation to software app of your printer. standard home end WILL not work other then printing if that is printing does work.
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you for the quick response.

I guess the printer I'm using is capable of doing everything , it must be the print server then,

Can you confirm the difference between this server and this one

http://www.canon.co.uk/Networking/C-6700WG/index.asp

Ado ...
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Thank you for the quick response.

I guess the printer I'm using is capable of doing everything , it must be the print server then,

Can you confirm the difference between this server and this one

http://www.canon.co.uk/Networking/C-6700WG/index.asp

Ado ...
Quote:
is that confirm that it will support on network as well? I doubt this level of printer will support network scan as well.

difference with netgear unit and ..http://www.canon.co.uk/Networking/C-6700WG/index.asp

canon product will be the best choice if you looking at more reliable but that doesn't mean it will do network scan.

Call canon and ask.... I know in HP printer.. only 800buck MFC unit support network scanning. not on 200bucks MFC unit
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hello Orbital,

Sorry for the slow response but Ive been busy.

Anyhow, I brought the other server - Silex - C-6700WG.

After a little problem with setting it up it works well. They have a small app that you switch on to scan to your PC ( or you can leave it on all the time if only one PC is connected).

The system does everything, scan , print and allows you to monitor ink levels.

Come on NETGEAR , pull your finger out and build something like this , its excellent.

Due to Christmas I purchase a unit for aroud 60 ( Usualy around 110).

Many thanks for the support but the netgear is now used a router !

Adrian...
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Banned
NETGEAR Newbie

preditation is on a distinguished road

Stinkyink now offer ink cartridges for the Canon Pixma MP610 ink. Oh and it's free delivery!