Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Wizard2121 is on a distinguished road
Default Keep losing wireless connection to printer: Wireless-N 150 WNR1000v2/MacBook Pro

Hello all,

I am new here so, I am not sure if this was the best category to post my thread. So here it goes, I am using a NetGear Router Wireless-N 150 Model WNR1000v2, and for some reason I keep losing the wireless connection with my printer. My printer is a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 3054 J610 Series, and I am using a MacBook Pro Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion. I did update my drivers and used the proper settings for my printer to get this working, yet I am not sure why the printer keeps disconnecting from time to time. I did get some tips to avoid this problem in the future from the Hewlett Packard rep, yet am not sure how to go about making these changes on my router. Here is what he sent me:

Non Apple Routers must be configured 192.168.1.xxx

Multi Casting Enabled

Lasted Firmware updates installed

Make sure following ports are open

Incoming ports
137, 138, 161, 427

Outgoing ports
137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!

Wizard2121
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keep losing wireless connection to printer: Wireless-N 150 WNR1000v2/MacBook Pro

Quote:
Non Apple Routers must be configured 192.168.1.xxx
make not difference to what IP scheme you used.

Quote:
Make sure following ports are open

Incoming ports
137, 138, 161, 427

Outgoing ports
137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500
port will have less to do with wireless connectivity unless hp software feature that connects free service or printing from internet .

Quote:
some reason I keep losing the wireless connection with my printer.
HP should have print out from printer shows the connectivity. Does it shows not connected?

can you ping the printer from Mac ...
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Wizard2121 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keep losing wireless connection to printer: Wireless-N 150 WNR1000v2/MacBook Pro

Thanks for the response! Can someone else verify this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
make not difference to what IP scheme you used.

port will have less to do with wireless connectivity unless hp software feature that connects free service or printing from internet .

HP should have print out from printer shows the connectivity. Does it shows not connected?

can you ping the printer from Mac ...
It seems to be working fine now. It was losing connection on its own after shutting off printer and starting. No I am not using any internet service from HP. Went through the proper steps establish a wireless connection, yet don't want it to cut off later.

So are you saying these other steps are not needed or will not make a difference?

Not sure what you mean about ping the printer from the Mac?
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
It seems to be working fine now. It was losing connection on its own after shutting off printer and starting. No I am not using any internet service from HP. Went through the proper steps establish a wireless connection, yet don't want it to cut off later.
shutting the printer is likely to be an issues.. leave it ON

Quote:
So are you saying these other steps are not needed or will not make a difference?
no

Quote:
Not sure what you mean about ping the printer from the Mac?
5sec on google... I now how to do it but goole has all the answer sometime

http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-on-Mac-OS

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 25th, 2013, 02:26 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

You need to set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router. Set to a fixed channel like 1,6 or 11, not auto. Now try.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:17 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

What are the symptoms of this problem?

You're apparently attempting to diagnose the problem based on it being a wireless network connection failure between the printer & the router - how have you determined this?

The reason I ask, is that I've personally experienced many instances where the computer which is connected to the network and can access other network resources, can not print to the printer, despite the fact that the printer IS connected to the network. I've seen this happen with both wired & wireless printers.

If you're certain the printer is losing it's wireless network connection, then by all means focus on the wireless link, but until then, don't waste energy on it.

There should be a way to get the printer to print a diagnostic page from its front panel, showing the network settings. The next time the computer won't communicate with the printer, print that page, and try to ping the printer.
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:31 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth View Post
You need to set a static IP in the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.
By the way, most HP installation on network utilize the printer name instead (pc and mac both) so DHCP client setting would be fine unless ones have used IP in the Mac's system prefe>printer.

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 25th, 2013, 06:08 AM
NETGEAR Addict

sabretooth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
By the way, most HP installation on network utilize the printer name instead (pc and mac both) so DHCP client setting would be fine unless ones have used IP in the Mac's system prefe>printer.
The problem with the DHCP client is utilizing the Printer tools as stays connected to the DHCP address. When coming out of sleep mode, a new IP may be given and now the tools do not work unless reset the IP in the tool menu. Static IP resolves this issue and loosing connectivity.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:59 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

I agreed to that.. sleep mode can.

I still see other printer does with static IP too force to use static IP on my Mac. like my samsung color laser.

the one works best is my PS101 that never dies..

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy