Old February 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Jukens is on a distinguished road
Default R7000 Facetime Problems

I have recently added the R9000 to my Verizon Fios network by putting the supplied Fios router in complete dummy bridge mode/coax to ethernet and my netgear is pulling all info straight from the ISP. Ever since the install any Apple device connected to my wifi that uses facetime has terrible quality and constant disconnects while facetiming. I have tried connecting to both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels with same outcome. I had this problem with the shipped firmware and still do with the updated firmware. I have tried changing preamble from long to short, adjusting wifi channels, using downstream and upstream QOS, disabling wireless QOS to no avail.
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:24 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: R7000 Facetime Problems

Have you test but using fios as router and setup R7000 as AP mode and see if any better.

If FIOS is wireless combo then try eliminate R7000 and see. Just to clear up issues make sure broadband service is not causing any issues
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jyen59 is on a distinguished road

Don't have Fios, but can second this approach works for Uverse. Disabled the Uverse wireless (no more wireless interference) and have the gateway working as a router only, with the R7000 as an AP. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Have you test but using fios as router and setup R7000 as AP mode and see if any better.

If FIOS is wireless combo then try eliminate R7000 and see. Just to clear up issues make sure broadband service is not causing any issues
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:10 PM

Just reset my FIOS and disabled the wifi then set the Netgear to wireless AP mode and still get the problem. I then turned on the wifi on the FIOS router and connected to it and did a FaceTime call and have no problems, no disconnects. I guess my last option is to wire ethernet from my ONT directly to the netgear router and test it again. This had been really frustrating as everything else works great.
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM

ok looks like the router needed a complete reset using the reset button as this appears to have corrected my FaceTime quality and disconnect issues. I am currently running it in AP mode but curious if performance would better using it to route and setting my FIOS router to bridge mode or removing it all together?
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM

You should use bridge mode on FIOS broadband modem if you have not done that.

Adding more NAT would be cause an issues yet in your case direct behind FIOS worked while R7000 in AP failed so not sure if AP mode in the R7000 is the issues in firmware.

Bridge mode FIOS and use R7000 as router is best
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:56 AM

It was my understanding that putting the R7000 into AP mode disables NAT and routing functions and lets the FIOS router handle all of it. My main question is would I see better performance from the R7000 routing as opposed to the FIOS GigE router which is a 1.2ghz arm cpu. Most of my traffic from the internet is p2p and high bitrate video streaming both on the LAN and the internet as I have a media server.
Old March 4th, 2014, 10:01 AM

You would continue to assume probably would not go anywhere.

AP mode do remove NAT but doesn't mean the firmware issues can still leads to some traffic issues.

9out of 10 broadband is usually put in bridge mode for those uses PPPoE authentication. PPPoA can NOT be authenticated so you have to use R7000 as AP mode.