Old June 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

juanf100 is on a distinguished road
Default WN2000RPT Cannot connect to extender

I bought a WN2000RPT extender to use in my house about a month and a half ago. I had it all set up but I was having trouble getting a good reception. I decided to move the extender to another part of the house but now I can't connect to the extender. The extender status LED is amber and windows cannot recognize or connect to the extender.

Is the extender dead? Is there any way to connect to it to check firmware or update firmware without using the online wizard?

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WN2000RPT Cannot connect to extender

Make sure before you move far from router, confirm the connectivity not far from the main router
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I contacted customer support and got my extender replaced, but I'm still having the same problem with the new extender. I have the extender placed far away from the router but I still cannot connect to it. Windows does not see the Netgear_Ext under the wireless networks. I've tried connecting it using an Ethernet cable but Windows is unable to identify it. I've tried it on multiple computers, separate ethernet cables and still nothing. I've noticed that the power status LED (middle LED) is amber and never turns green. I've measured the voltage coming out of the plug of both the old and new extender and it is reading 14.76v. I am guessing the extender has at least a 5% voltage tolerance which would rule out damage from over-voltage. Any idea what could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

behavior at any location , 10 feet away, 5 feet away, 20 feet away?
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I am not getting anything out of the router. After the initial power up sequence the power led(middle LED) turns amber and stays amber. I've tried it at 5,10,15,20 feet from the router.
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have finally managed to get a working connection to the extender. What I did was connect a different power supply from my old linksys router. After it finished with the power up sequence I reset it to factory defaults and now its back up and running.