Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:32 PM

terrySF is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with a 6250

I installed a 6250. I have also updated the firmware to the most recent version (as of 6 days ago). I seem to have several issues and would to hear remedies or other opinions. I am connected to Comcast Xfinity with a 75MB/sec download and 25MB/sec upload. I connect to Xfinity with a Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. I am also using a Netgear GS608 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch connected to the 6250 router.

First, my Power LED and the Internet LED never turn green, they are always solid amber. Does this mean I have faulty device?

Second, my wireless subsystem seems to have partially shut down. I attached a Smart TV to the network via wireless connection yesterday evening using the WPS feature. No problem, the TV came up immediately and is using the 5GHz band. Unfortunately all the devices that are 2.4GHz or dual band (like the IPads) are not longer on the network. Laptops, printers, etc are not longer showing nor can they access the network or the internet. What did I do wrong, or what happened to the router? How do I correct the problem?

The 6250 routinely drops its internet connection. I can go in via RouterLogin or Netgenie, and reactivate the connection and it comes up almost immediately. It will last a day, and often will occur several times a day. It is a nuisance and I should not have to babysit the router. Is it the router, something I did, firmware, or what? How do I correct the issue?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Terrysf
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problems with a 6250

Quote:
First, my Power LED and the Internet LED never turn green, they are always solid amber. Does this mean I have faulty device?
No

Usually in gigabit router... ( this is MANUAL)

Amber 100base-t
Green 1000Base-t

This means that between the modem and router "auto negotiated" at 100Mbps .
You need to look the spec on cable modem for LAN if support gigabit but at this point if you broadband is 75Mbps, 100base-t is okay to say

Quote:
Unfortunately all the devices that are 2.4GHz or dual band (like the IPads) are not longer on the network. Laptops, printers, etc are not longer showing nor can they access the network or the internet. What did I do wrong, or what happened to the router? How do I correct the problem?
For one ... WPS is bad to be using. Google WPS exploitation. I would disable WPS and use ONLY WPA2 encryption and connect TV that way and rest of devices.

Quote:
The 6250 routinely drops its internet connection. I can go in via RouterLogin or Netgenie, and reactivate the connection and it comes up almost immediately. It will last a day, and often will occur several times a day. It is a nuisance and I should not have to babysit the router. Is it the router, something I did, firmware, or what? How do I correct the issue?

I'm not really sure if other means of malware could have flood the router doing this or not.

I would miminize the usage to single device only to see if you see any changes
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM

Thank you for the advice...

I make the changes and see how it goes

terry
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Just a quick follow-up....

I am using the Netgear CMD31T cable modem. The green light is on which means it acknowledged the presence of a one gigabyte router. Neither the CMD31T nor the R6250 give me the opportunity to sync at 100mps, both are autosensing for speed and Netgear says to leave them alone.

The R6250 router does not use amber to signify the 100mps speed. For the R6250 router amber signifies trouble with the router. Netgear teachs said they would get back to me.

While the TV can be reset to use 2.4Ghz, it defeats the purpose of having an AC1600 dual band router. I would stepping back. I'm hoping tech support has a better answer.

Thanks

terrysf
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the TV supports 802.11AC?