Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM

Bmxace is on a distinguished road
Talking 5ghz Frequency Mod?

Hey I just got this router a few days ago and I gatta say its pretty awesome. I love the dual band and how I can download anything without interuption from the other network devices.
So I am at the edge of the good frequency with the 5ghz, mostly staying in fair and sometimes dropping in poor. I read a few threads on here and I know 5ghz will never match 2.4 but I read a post on here and they were talking about power outputs. So I was wondering what if I can increase the power output on the 5ghz!
Does anyone know or can redirect me to a software/firmware or hardware mod that I can do to increase frequency range on the 5ghz? (it work fine now I'm just signal greedy )

Also I do have a problem connecting one of my laptops. Its on windows xp, with a internal PCI wireless adaptor 11a/b/g. It says its connected with very good signal at 54mbs but it does not receive packets??? therefore I cant access any internet but it stays connected...any thoughts? (I've updated the driver, used the netgear disc, reset connection, reset the router, updated everything else, disabled/enabled/repair/diagnose?????)

Thanks a lot - Netgear rocks!
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 5ghz Frequency Mod?

generally power output is govern by FCC regulation of how much you can use for home end. other is to use high gain antenna so enhance it which means you have mod mode the circuit board = void warranty as well

Quote:
Its on windows xp, with a internal PCI wireless adaptor 11a/b/g
802.11A - 5Ghz/54Mbps
802.11B/G 2.4Ghz/10Mbps/54Mbps
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
NETGEAR Addict

methuselah_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does anyone know or can redirect me to a software/firmware or hardware mod that I can do to increase frequency range on the 5ghz? (it work fine now I'm just signal greedy )
I think thats on the advance wireless settings. But I think the default is 100%.

Quote:
Also I do have a problem connecting one of my laptops. Its on windows xp, with a internal PCI wireless adaptor 11a/b/g.
Can you post the brand and its model number as well as the driver version? Do you have any security software running? Can you get an IP address on the wireless connection? if so, what is the IP? Have you tried pinging? Google on how to ping and ping the router.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

As methuselah_ says, tell us what IP the wireless adapter gets. It could help us see the problem.

In the router is DHCP turned off?
Do you have filtering enabled?
Is Block Services turned no?

If you answer no to all of the above then try this...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
Then just connect wirelessly and see if all is well..

It sounds like either the DHCP server is off or that IPv4 is misconfigured on the wireless adapter.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

Actually 3rd party firmware that may be able to increase the 5Ghz power levels beyond what the stock claims as 100%. Also, not all of the allowable 5Ghz channels are made available by the Netgear firmware. I'm sure someone will eventually create an OpenWRT Mod for WNDR3700 with better power/freq controls.

The 5Ghz power levels are no-where near the limits put forth by the FCC because it's much harder to design good/sensitive 5Ghz or higher freq transceivers. eg. I've got lousy DSL speeds because I'm too far from the CO/RT and my modem shows it only communicates using only the lower frequencies. Even using copper, higher freq. don't travel really far it seems.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccdoggy is on a distinguished road

Ok, here is the thing. even if you crank up the output of the router, your computer still has to talk back to it. so even if the router is yelling with all its might to the laptop, it still has to respond which makes turning up the output typically make little difference. you might be able to pickup the signal better but get more errors talking back to the router.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

That is correct, but if your laptop has a lousy antenna, then the router couldn't hear it talking or send very far. Upgrading the router antenna will be hard, but replacing your pc and lapptop w/ good antennas may be sufficient. Some laptops use thumb sized stub antennas not tuned for the 5Ghz band that are lousy, upgrading & re-routing it to the back of lcd is MUCH better, if possible, in my option.