Old March 1st, 2013, 09:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

palatialdave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port forwarding to different LAN servers listening in the same port

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Unfortunately if you have an option to specify then it doesn't have an option regardless other model or manufacture did.
Thanks - I will try Netgear again - it seems such a fundamentally basic feature missing from their top routers.....this time I might be lucky that they won't cut me off!

To re-cap all I want to do is forward to 4 different webcams

XXXXX.dyndns.org:501 -->>-- 192.168.2.201:80
XXXXX.dyndns.org:502 -->>-- 192.168.2.202:80
XXXXX.dyndns.org:503 -->>-- 192.168.2.203:80
XXXXX.dyndns.org:504 -->>-- 192.168.2.204:80

On other Netgear routers you can set up 'custom ports' but not so on this model...despite being the top of the range
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:49 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Calling will not do much for you.

Port translation on netgear home end router are now days non existence
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:38 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Dave - you seem to be missing the point - it doesn't make any difference what your Belkin can do, your Netgear cannot do it - Netgear does not need to match Belkin feature for feature, you on the other hand, need to do your research before purchasing.

Your options are simple - return the Netgear and continue to use the Belkin or use the Netgear and put the cameras on different ports (if possible).
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM

habib2535 is on a distinguished road

what is the point of opening a forum and listening to users if one does not like what the users are claiming ?

what is the point of calling this device a "router" if it does not fulfill basic ROUTING feature (PAT) ... ? ... and unlike almost any router (i can add D-Link model next to the Belkin mentionned above)

Yes hello...

... I bought a Netgear DGND3700 last week in US... unfortunately I brought it back to Paris where I live... I have more than 18 PAT routes needs to set-up at home (ftp and telnet to multiple home PCs and other linux boxes...) and when I opened the router, i coudn't believe that the router does not support this basic PAT routing feature (and yet i used 5 or 6 different routers so far in the past without even bothering).

I would never have thought that i have to check this feature before buying arouter (or I would have done it of course)

I called the seller to send the box back but the seller rejects to collect it from outside US !

what should I do ?

what Netgear is answering to users like me (and I found tons of us on the net, not to mention in this forum)

I am really upset !!!!!!!!!
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
what is the point of opening a forum and listening to users if one does not like what the users are claiming ?
Forum is user to user base

Quote:
what is the point of calling this device a "router" if it does not fulfill basic ROUTING feature (PAT) ... ? ... and unlike almost any router (i can add D-Link model next to the Belkin mentionned above)
Every manufacture has different view. Not all manufacture has to be 100% same

Quote:
what should I do ?
Not sure where your purchased from that this your responsibility to know your return policy is not accepted by its' term

Quote:
what Netgear is answering to users like me (and I found tons of us on the net, not to mention in this forum)
You have to contact directly using my.netgear.com and choose non register user button
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:36 PM

habib2535 is on a distinguished road

Thanks jmizoguchi but you are not answering the question... I let other readers assess !

why don't just join your voice to us and call for netgear to add this feature : i can provide the code !

for the time being i managed to solve most (but not all) of the PAT needs i have ! you know how ? by patching linux in several boxes i have ... it took me one days work and testing... that's i don't mind !

but i do mind that i have to do it again each time i upgrade my linux boxes !

and you keep sayiog all this is "normal" for 120 router box ?
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:27 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

A couple of points habib - routers were around long before broadband internet and the use of NAT & PAT - those are not basic routing features, they are consumer router features, specifically used when it is necessary to share a single public ip address amongst several devices.

It is the router manufacturer who decides what features will be offered in any particular product, and if Netgear chooses to offer NAT in a given router, but not PAT, there is only one thing that you, the consumer can do - don't purchase that router.

The onus is on YOU the purchaser, to research the product before purchasing it, to determine that it meets your needs - if it does, purchase it, if it doesn't you keep looking until you find something that does. Buying a product that does not meet your needs and then griping about it doesn't do anything other than waste money.

It really is that simple.

You have the code - great - find a cheap PC platform with dual NICs, configure it and use it as your router. You think more people need them - package them attractively and offer them for sale on the internet.

Make money, put Netgear out of business because you listen to your customers and they don't.

I guarantee you one thing - along the way you'll discover why Netgear does what they do, how they do it,
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM

June - I chose not to delete your post - I want you to know it was edited and why.

This thread is going nowhere and I'm locking it - the same will be done for any unnecessarily argumentative thread I come across

Last edited by fordem; March 11th, 2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Unnecessarily aggressive
Closed Thread