Old August 31st, 2010, 07:42 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change wireless MAC?

True, I cant just "See" your IP or MAC, there's a large chance that the COMMUNITY NON-PAID NETGEAR VOLUNTEERS however could.

If I was to link a photo to you in a private msg then I could watch for the IP that downloads it and get your IP.

IPV6 (if I understand it correctly) will integrate the MAC address into peoples IP address with stateless autoconfiguration. You can spoof the MAC details and everything still works fine, but as there's no real adoption of IPV6 right now then it's hard to know how exactly (if even possible) these things will be abused.

Okay perhaps stateless autoconfiguration and the ilk will remain a "lan" only type of feature, but with the abundance of IP's there is out there, One can hazard a guess that ISP's will be eager to market such things.

But if the mac is rolled up then you will want to change it, A large part of breaking down a wall is knowing what the wall is made of, If a MAC lookup table can provide someone with full rough details of the hardware your using then exploits become much easier to impliment too.. But hey...

That's just me .
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:36 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

I'm one of those volunteers - your ip address is 81.98.x.y (I can give you the x.y if you'd like me to), and your ISP is VirginMedia - but I can't give you your MAC address, and none of the other volunteers can give me mine.

It's just not possible - with IPv6 it might, with IPv4 - it's not.

MAC address paranoia is pointless - it cannot be tracked to you.

As for getting my ip address through a link - that can be circumvented also - but - and this takes me back to a statement I made earlier - like spoofing the MAC address, there are few legitimate reasons to do it.
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:43 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

But isnít the subject of this thread the wireless MAC address of the router, which can be seen in a simple scan for networks with something like inSSIDer or Netstumbler?

My name is Andy.
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:05 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Which wireless MAC is the subject is unclear - not that it makes much of a difference to me - there are few legitimate reasons to change a MAC address.

Even the skyhook that the original poster mentions - they may know where your MAC address is, but they don't know who it belongs to - imagine sitting in the parking lot of an apartment complex and trying to determine which door to knock on.
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
But isnít the subject of this thread the wireless MAC address of the router, which can be seen in a simple scan for networks with something like inSSIDer or Netstumbler?
I took it off topic, sorry ..

Was just trying to point out other ills I "felt" were possibly worse.
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:12 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

It looks to me like SkyHook is some kind of positioning system, in which case IP addresses and user details are not needed but a record of the networks' identifying MAC would be.

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/whoweare/

My name is Andy.
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:01 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Yup - it's a database of wireless MAC addresses by geographical location.

It's also "statistical" in that if you have "n" number of MAC addresses at a given street corner and "m" at the next, and you move a single MAC from one to the other - whether physically or by spoofing - you're not going to make an appreciable change in the results.

Apparently the original poster feels the need to spoof his WLAN MAC to protect his indentity, from a system that doesn't (and can't) track his identity.

The most common reason to spoof a MAC address is to bypass some sort of security system - which I would consider as unlawful - but, I would also consider MAC based security systems as insecure and ill-advised given the ease with which the addresses can be changed.

Personally I don't use MAC filtering with wireless, but I do track the MAC addresses of the systems that connect, they cause an alert to be sent - a very simple intrusion detection system.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

smaier69 is on a distinguished road

foredem is correct. MAC addresses do not make it past layer 2 (data), and are used in local addressing. as the packet gets passed through the router, the header will no longer have the a local interface's physical address, but the (router) WAN interface's MAC. this will happen at every router the frame gets processed through on it's route to the destination host. in other words, beyond your local segment, the local LAN side MACs are no longer relevant.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

smaier69 is on a distinguished road

err, my apologies. my previous (yet to show up) post was aimed at a point earlier in the conversation. itty-bitty screen on this device and i didn't see page 2.